CHICKEN FOUND WITH ITS BACK LIKE THIS ( GRAPHIC PIC)

No it was not any of those things for sure. The chicken as she said never came out of its coop with the other chickens.
That is predator damage in my opinion and your friend may be mistaken about what can get in.. pictures of the set up and surrounding area along with a location and perceived time can tell a thousand stories.. Even rats eat chicken. That's not the typical look of cannibalism. But I've had a duck scalped by raccoon reaching in look VERY similar to that. Half inch hardware cloth covers all opening now. Look at sofit vents as entry points and so on.

Sorry for the loss.. your friend probably made the right choice.. :hugs

Depending on age.. it COULD be harvested once euthanized.

LOOK for return visits. Look for points of entry! :fl

Yeah, but it's only in one spot, the rest is just feathers missing, I would say feather picking by other chooks. I have some that do it (never this serious) and they will pick a feather out that will bleed then just keep picking at it until it's dead.
Thanks for your input

That is predator damage in my opinion and your friend may be mistaken about what can get in.. pictures of the set up and surrounding area along with a location and perceived time can tell a thousand stories.. Even rats eat chicken. That's not the typical look of cannibalism. But I've had a duck scalped by raccoon reaching in look VERY similar to that. Half in hardware cloth covers all opening now. Look at sofit vents as entry points and so on.

I have never seen a raccoon damage a chicken, because they aren't in Australia, the closest thing here is quolls and they will just tear a chicken to shreds

That is predator damage in my opinion and your friend may be mistaken about what can get in.. pictures of the set up and surrounding area along with a location and perceived time can tell a thousand stories.. Even rats eat chicken. That's not the typical look of cannibalism. But I've had a duck scalped by raccoon reaching in look VERY similar to that. Half inch hardware cloth covers all opening now. Look at sofit vents as entry points and so on.

The chickens would attack the rat if they saw one, especially if there is heaps of them

Back
Top Bottom