CHICKEN FOUND WITH ITS BACK LIKE THIS ( GRAPHIC PIC)

Keliana

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2018
My friend sent me a pic of her broiler chicken, with the flesh off its back eaten off. She says it was alive , but she culled it after seeing it like that. Im know a bit about chickens, but i have neven seen any like that. Does anyone have an idea?? My first thought was maybe it was some sort of parasite or mite.

Attachments

• received_486234106075937.jpeg
    received_486234106075937.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 38
No it was not any of those things for sure. The chicken as she said never came out of its coop with the other chickens.
That is predator damage in my opinion and your friend may be mistaken about what can get in.. pictures of the set up and surrounding area along with a location and perceived time can tell a thousand stories.. Even rats eat chicken. That's not the typical look of cannibalism. But I've had a duck scalped by raccoon reaching in look VERY similar to that. Half inch hardware cloth covers all opening now. Look at sofit vents as entry points and so on.

Sorry for the loss.. your friend probably made the right choice.. :hugs

Depending on age.. it COULD be harvested once euthanized.

LOOK for return visits. Look for points of entry! :fl

No it was not any of those things for sure. The chicken as she said never came out of its coop with the other chickens.
Mites or worms?! How much does your friend check on their chickens?

Howe crowded are they? Could be cannibalism.

Seems to be only missing feathers really, I would say the others were bored and she was the weakest and they picked on her, not 100% certain though

agreed, it has not pierced the bone. It could quite possibly have survived but never mind now

Are y'all sure? I'm pretty sure I see body cavity on the right...

I could see it but couldn't tell if it was from the attack or she half butchered it to more thoroughly show the wound in the picture.
I presumed the injury to be AS IS and not altered by a knife when I suggested I don't THINK cannibalism to be the culprit.
The chickens would attack the rat if they saw one, especially if there is heaps of them
Not a broiler.. that's almost to stupid to go looking for water and could die of thirst.. I watched my chickens get startled by a rat coming to feed in broad daylight. Try not to presume to many things just because you haven't seen it. Many things depend on hormones kicking in and learned behaviors.. some place rats don't show up until the broilers do.. They (chickens) don't automatically know to eat what they've never seen and doesn't run away like prey but approaches with confidence like a predator.. they usually observe.. rats.. are vicious and will fight back even to my barn cats.. so basically, with all due respect.. you can think what you want.. that doesn't make it true. But an open mind allows for insight! ;)

In the dark some chickens will fight back.. others will hunker down and try to disappear.

Even certain squirrel types and opossum will eat chicken dinner..

After raising a few (hundred) fowl for just over 10 years now.. I've seen more than I ever care to.. and that's NOT even the tip of the iceberg! :confused:

So I invite you come along to this journey where you discover that hens can and do crow and grow spurs, roosters sing the egg song, Vultures PREY on chickens.. and so many more things I thought weren't possible are in fact all to common.. once we start sharing! :highfive:

Coons can reach through small holes and mess up a chicken in the coop. Last fall I had them rip through ply wood and make a hole big enough to reach, grab and pull a chicken out. The coop is a tractor that is 3' to the bottom. The next day the hole didn't look big enough to shove a chicken through. If their wall is thicker it may not have been able to tear it up like mine yet they can still reach into a small hole.
Could be cannibalism.
A possibility but I think it would have been bad a day earlier.

Back
Top Bottom