CHICKEN FOUND WITH ITS BACK LIKE THIS ( GRAPHIC PIC)

I could see it but couldn't tell if it was from the attack or she half butchered it to more thoroughly show the wound in the picture.
I presumed the injury to be AS IS and not altered by a knife when I suggested I don't THINK cannibalism to be the culprit.
The chickens would attack the rat if they saw one, especially if there is heaps of them
Not a broiler.. that's almost to stupid to go looking for water and could die of thirst.. I watched my chickens get startled by a rat coming to feed in broad daylight. Try not to presume to many things just because you haven't seen it. Many things depend on hormones kicking in and learned behaviors.. some place rats don't show up until the broilers do.. They (chickens) don't automatically know to eat what they've never seen and doesn't run away like prey but approaches with confidence like a predator.. they usually observe.. rats.. are vicious and will fight back even to my barn cats.. so basically, with all due respect.. you can think what you want.. that doesn't make it true. But an open mind allows for insight! ;)

In the dark some chickens will fight back.. others will hunker down and try to disappear.

Even certain squirrel types and opossum will eat chicken dinner..

After raising a few (hundred) fowl for just over 10 years now.. I've seen more than I ever care to.. and that's NOT even the tip of the iceberg! :confused:

So I invite you come along to this journey where you discover that hens can and do crow and grow spurs, roosters sing the egg song, Vultures PREY on chickens.. and so many more things I thought weren't possible are in fact all to common.. once we start sharing! :highfive:

I presumed the injury to be AS IS and not altered by a knife when I suggested I don't THINK cannibalism to be the culprit.

Not a broiler.. that's almost to stupid to go looking for water and could die of thirst.. I watched my chickens get startled by a rat coming to feed in broad daylight. Try not to presume to many things just because you haven't seen it. Many things depend on hormones kicking in and learned behaviors.. some place rats don't show up until the broilers do.. They (chickens) don't automatically know to eat what they've never seen and doesn't run away like prey but approaches with confidence like a predator.. they usually observe.. rats.. are vicious and will fight back even to my barn cats.. so basically, with all due respect.. you can think what you want.. that doesn't make it true. But an open mind allows for insight! ;)

In the dark some chickens will fight back.. others will hunker down and try to disappear.

After raising a few (hundred) fowl for just over 10 years now.. I've seen more than I ever care to.. and that's NOT even the tip of the iceberg! :confused:

So I invite you come along to this journey where you discover that hens can and do crow and grow spurs, roosters sing the egg song, Vultures PREY on chickens.. and so many more things I thought weren't possible are in fact all to common.. once we start sharing! :highfive:
All you said is true, even in my few years, I have seen things in poultry and turned into a learning chicken doctor, cause no matter how much you think you know, you are still ever learning. Thanks for your input :)

Sorry, I thought they would be similar to my chickens who attack mice and rats, I know rats fight back, I have watched them attack my cattle Dog. And I own hundreds of chickens, I know that hens grow spurs, I have some with longer spurs than the roosters. I also knew that about vultures, it just doesn't happen where I live, we have chicken hawks. I may not have known that about broilers, but I do know a heap about chickens. I have been hatching and growing chickens my entire life, so I know a fair thing or two about chickens. This is just what I have seen, the only chickens that have ever been attacked by rats are ones that are in their own pen.
I'm sorry if that sounded mean, it wasn't meant too, but it sounds like you just assumed I was new to the chicken world and didn't know much. (Still not trying to sound mean, sorry if it did, I don't want to get into an argument over rats and chickens)

I'm sorry if that sounded mean, it wasn't meant too, but it sounds like you just assumed I was new to the chicken world and didn't know much.
No, I didn't take it as mean at all. And I cannot presume your personal chicken understanding. I understand that we all face different things and some of the statements I make are meant for those who otherwise don't realize or have never seen certain things before but may come across this thread in the future.. BYC is a fantastic community that way.. for the most part we are here to learn from each other.. and to rally together.. I too am sorry if my post was rude or offensive or cocky (for lack of a better word). Thank you for understanding that things don't always get expressed or perceived exactly as we might hope. I get it! :oops:

NO hard feelings on my part, just good chicken friends! :hugs

No, I didn't take it as mean at all. And I cannot presume your personal chicken understanding. I understand that we all face different things and some of the statements I make are meant for those who otherwise don't realize or have never seen certain things before but may come across this thread in the future.. BYC is a fantastic community that way.. for the most part we are here to learn from each other.. and to rally together.. I too am sorry if my post was rude or offensive or cocky (for lack of a better word). Thank you for understanding that things don't always get expressed or perceived exactly as we might hope. I get it! :oops:

NO hard feelings on my part, just good chicken friends! :hugs
No hard feelings 🙂👍

UPDATE TO EVERYONE. THAT IS ACTUALLY UNDER THE CHICKEN THAT IS IN THE PICTURE AND NOT ITS BACK LIKE I THOUGHT🙄. I THINK I JUST DIDNT WANT TO LOOK AT IT TOO LONG. Plus no one here same to notice it was under the chicken either, so I dont feel too bad.
The owner said her coop is not crowded. The only thing she could think of is that she recently change to wood chips for bedding. I told her to just monitor the chicks more closely.

Back
Top Bottom