Chicken Friendly Towns in PA?

QuietClucker

Hatching
Aug 4, 2020
Hello everyone. Longtime chicken owner in Southeastern PA.

Currently looking to relocate from this area to a more affordable part of the state. What I'm coming up against in multiple areas are township ordinances prohibiting "farm animals" - even on sizable lots. Or if animals are permitted, the amount of hoops, regulations and and fees seem more like an attempt to thwart keeping chickens rather than encourage the practice.

Anyone know of affordable, chicken friendly communities in the state that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Middle Paxton Township, outside of Harrisburg. Some people are keeping both hens and roosters - not in large numbers. There may be an ordinance against the roosters but I still hear them crowing.

Thanks, Bella! Unfortunately, just took a look at real estate prices, and there's nothing under 100k, which is our max. If you know of any other areas, I'd love to know. Thank you!

I have been doing the same. Everything is freaking expensive and when you do find something, the people moving out from the city, make high offers that you can't compete with. Very frustrating. I've been looking since March. No luck. And I have 3 Roosters!! Ugh. City already came once and today they came to see if the birds were gone. They're in the basement. Loving it. Warm and cozy.

Thanks, Bella! Unfortunately, just took a look at real estate prices, and there's nothing under 100k, which is our max. If you know of any other areas, I'd love to know. Thank you!

I even started looking up in NY state. Lots of cheap nice places but like I said. Damn city people LOL

Really? Im in nj and i started looking at pa properties recently online. So cheap! Over on the central/north east border of pa. Maybe not chicken friendly? I though that was just a crazy, overbearing nj thing.
How about down by Philadelphia?

I'm not sure about the Philadelphia area. I know Luzerne County allows chickens and in some areas Roosters. The county is beautiful. I went to check out a house there today. Put an offer on one. Wish me luck!! Have you checked in Millville, NJ?? You can have up to 32 chickens per acre. I was going to see a house there tomorrow but if the seller accepts my offer, I will cancel.

Really? Im in nj and i started looking at pa properties recently online. So cheap! Over on the central/north east border of pa. Maybe not chicken friendly? I though that was just a crazy, overbearing nj thing.
How about down by Philadelphia?

@pollitolovers , yes, down by millville I'm sure they must allow chickens. A lot of the craigslist ads are from down there. And the houses are cheap. It's a pretty depressed area, from what I read. Violent crime up and high school graduation down. According to the stats i read. For millville, itself. I might like it just fine in person. Sounded rough on paper. I considered a house down there once. There are lots of natural looking areas on the map. Wetlands.

I live in suburbs of nyc. Central nj. Not hoity toity, but hoity toity is very close.

I've moved from DC, to Brooklyn, NY, to PA and no matter where you go, there's always something bad going on. I just usually keep to myself and thankfully never had any problems. Especially in DC, MD & NY

Back
Top Bottom