1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Garden for my Girls! Plant ideas?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by equinehugger3, Oct 30, 2010.

1. equinehugger3

equinehugger3 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2010
    I KNOW spring is in a long time, but still I thought of it now so I'll ask now. [​IMG] I'm planning on making a "chicken garden" for my girls: a garden where there will be things that they like to eat and that are pretty or fruitful. I'm pretty sure I'll do corn and maybe pumpkins or sqaushes, and are those okay, and what else do they like to play in, or eat, or peck at, or just like?

Edited for title. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

mine love basil

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can plant birdseed and grow millet. I have grown it successfully before I had chickens. But the wild birds love it too!

4. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    Tomatoes! My girls ADORE tomatoes. Blueberries too, just don't let them eat the leaves!

5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I heard they love marigolds and that it colors the yolks of their eggs.

6. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Wheatgrass (sprout some wheat), peas and beans, chard, lettuces, spinach, and zucchini are favorites of my birds.

7. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:I have marigolds right against the run and our girls never touch the things. Go figure!

Larry

8. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Comfrey! Plant some for the chickens and the family :) We have to keep them fenced so that they are not eaten down to their root, lol

9. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Quote:I have marigolds right against the run and our girls never touch the things. Go figure!

Larry

We have calendula popping up everywhere; but I've never seen the chickens nipping at any of it.

10. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Quote:I was blaming the grasshoppers for the disappearing plants. They were eaten to the ground, started to come back and I noticed yesterday they are gone again.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by