Chicken gasping for air.... please help

hoppingchicks

Songster
Apr 1, 2020
norflok,england
20230326_085106.jpg
hello this is a friend's hen who has recant come down with something
We don't quite know what it is wrong
She is acting docile and is gasping for air we have moved her to a box in the house to keep her away from the others but don't know how to help her recover
Please help
Hoppingchicks

Did this just start .... like within how long ago since she was okay?

Has she been coughing prior to this?
I only noticed that she was feeling off about 2-3 days ago but I wasn't too worried as they were all inside...thanks to the chicken lockdown in England
I have had 4 chickens pass Away during 5 months with no apparent reason 😐

I only noticed that she was feeling off about 2-3 days ago but I wasn't too worried as they were all inside...thanks to the chicken lockdown in England
I have had 4 chickens pass Away during 5 months with no apparent reason 😐
Has your flock had vaccinations, if so ... which types? Have they been wormed in the past year?

You might want to give "SafeGuard", which is a brand name for "Fenbendazole", which can be mixed in with the shared feed for the flock. It is supposed to treat "gape worm", which could be a cause ... especially if she seems to be stretching her neck. It's pretty safe to use in the general population and has a really high threshold before over-dosing and safe for egg use.

It comes in pellets and would really be a good thing if you could get her to eat two or three of the pellets out of your hand so you know that she's specifically getting a dose.

Back
Top Bottom