nicalandia

Free Ranging
14 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Stuck In a Dream
My Coop
My Coop
Hello BYC Forum Family,

I am writing this post to reinforce the correct gene/mutation nomenclature in chickens.

Lets start with the fact that chickens like all birds, some reptiles and some insects follow the ZZ and ZW sex determination system.

Dominant, incompletely dominant and codominant genes are Capitalized, recessive genes start with lower case, wildtype genes end with a + sign. The forward slash is to separate the allelic mutations and the comma sign is to separate non allelic mutations.

For example female red jungle fowl are e+/e+, b+/- and female barred rocks are E/E, B/-

Since there can be multiple allelic mutations on a single allele, the caret ^ sign is used when the researchers have given them names, for example: on the recessive white allele C+ is the wildtype none white gene, the recessive white is c and c^al is recessive albinism, another example is the dominant White allele where i+ is non white, I is dominant White and I^d is Dunn

Last edited:
Hello BYC Forum Family,

I am writing this post to reinforce the correct gene/mutation nomenclature in chickens.

Lets start with the fact that chickens like all birds, some reptiles and some insects follow the ZZ and ZW sex determination system.

Dominant, incompletely dominant and codominant genes are Capitalized, recessive genes start with lower case, wildtype genes end with a + sign. The forward slash is to separate the allelic mutations and the comma sign is to separate non allelic mutations.

For example female red jungle fowl are e+/e+, b+/- and female barred rocks are E/E, B/-

Since there can be multiple allelic mutations on a single allele, the caret ^ sign is used when the researchers have given them names, for example: on the recessive white allele C+ is the wildtype none white gene, the recessive white is c and c^al is recessive albinism, another example is the dominant White allele where i+ is non white, I is dominant White and I^d is Dunn
Your explanation will definitely help a lot of chicken owners and should maybe become a sticky. I already learnt this in school but many people wouldn't have.
Thank you for sharing!

@nicalandia I was wondering if this article was accurate? I wanted to show it to some who are new to genetics and want to learn more, but I hadn’t seen it recommended before- https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/genetics-an-attempt-at-simplifying-the-complex.64782/.
I’m not very familiar with the nomenclature.

Its well put, but inaccurate in the chicken Allosome designation, chickens along with othet creatures(including some insects) have the ZZ, ZW sex determination system,

Its well put, but inaccurate in the chicken Allosome designation, chickens along with othet creatures(including some insects) have the ZZ, ZW sex determination system,
ZZ and ZW? What sex would be determined by ZZ?

Back
Top Bottom