(Chicken got a cold?) Added Info.(MS/MG,ILT,CRD,NPIP)

I hate what happened to you! That is why I never bring in birds from anywhere, even folks I do trust to have clean flocks. I am not NPIP, however, folks who have gotten birds from me are and the ones they bought were tested when they reached the proper age and were found MG free. I don't say it will never happen, that is foolish, since you cannot see germs, it's possible for them to sneak in. I just don't buy that most every flock in America has MG, is all. That blanket statement is very troubling and I think it will make folks even more lax about trying to keep disease out.

I don't think we have EDS here in the U.S. If we do, it's very rare. The internal laying issues I have are from high production hatchery birds, most well over two years old. I consulted a PhD in Poultry Science about the issues and it's apparently a hormonal/genetic issue. Also, that humongous, expensive Diseases of Poultry book mentions salpingitis caused by a "loose" cloaca in those types of hens allowing feces back into the oviduct and setting up infection, but it isn't always related to other disease, thank goodness. That's been my issue with my flock, but so far, never any respiratory issues at all.

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif

I know what you mean about being lax, and some people think the birds will build up an immunity to this, and they don't, they either have it or they don't, and the birds are better off not having it, everything about them is better. Which is one reason why I have tried to convice people to break the cycle and to try and get rid of it and to try to breed for a cleaner flock.

There are about 200 people accross the country now that are using what I use for their birds, and there are a good many of them that are trying to breed this out of their flocks. I do think it is one of the reasons for some of the older heritage breeds to become practically extinct. It is worth making an effort to get rid of it, the birds are so much better off.

When I was searching for clean birds for my flock, I ran accross a post by a woman that had an almost 100 percent hatch rate, knowing this was also a part of Mycoplasma, I contacted the woman and asked if she had done any testing of her birds, she hadn't but was getting ready to explore doing that, I told her what had happened to me and my birds, she decided to do the testing, to make a long story shorter, her tests came back clean of all diseases except for Mycoplasmas, she contacted me and wanted to know about what I had found, which at the time we hadn't even worked up the dosage amounts and were in the process of doing that, I told her where to get it, she ran it by her Vet and had her Vet get it for her, she didn't need a Vet to get it, but felt safer talking things thru with her Vet, we worked up the dosage amounts and she started treating her birds with it, she treated for about a month and half, and then collected eggs to incubate, those chicks that she hatched she also gave the preventative dosage to, which is 3 to 5 days starting as day olds, then again every 3 weeks until they are over the age of 4 months, then once monthly for the 3 to 5 days like the older birds, the older birds got it to begin with for almost 2 weeks straight, then I called to see how she was doing and found she was doing it every day, so we went back over the dosages again and she treated monthly for the 3 to 5 days, she contacted the state about the testing to have it re done, and they told her it would be after 6 months before they would come out to do it, so the chicks she hatched she kept in a greenhouse on her property totally separate from all of her other birds, when the state came back out to re test her birds the chicks were old enough to also be tested, this time her results came back clean of all diseases including clean of Mycoplasmas and the chicks also tested clean. So we know it works. And its easy to use, you mix it in their water fresh daily for 3 to 5 days a month. It does have precautions to using it, and those are on the European site of what can't be in the feed and what other drugs are safe to use with it. And its not labeled for use in poultry here so we're using it off label.

I know other people whose birds were in epedemic when they got it, some of them had it overnighted because their birds were on their backs gasping for air and dying, and started using it immediately, I have been told that within 3 days the birds were better and within 5 days you couldn't even tell they had ever been sick. The other thing others have told me after about the first week is they noticed their birds droppings change from being runny and black to firmed up the way they were supposed to be, and their birds acted different and were livelier than they had been before. One woman was having problems with fertility with her birds when she contacted me and I told her what to get, she was getting 3 eggs that were fertile out of about 60 eggs, and she had a list a mile long for selling hatching eggs and wasn't wanting to sell any until the fertility was improved, we worked out dosages and a program for the birds, then after a month and half to 2 months she rechecked for fertility and had improved fertility from using it, she now sells hatching eggs and also started selling started chicks this past spring. It is also used to improve fertility as well as egg production. It is specifically designed to work for Mycoplasmas and not just treat symptoms. It gets to the root of the problem and has rapid gut absorption.

What is this product? Are you saying it works like an anti-viral type med?

I know what you mean about being lax, and some people think the birds will build up an immunity to this, and they don't, they either have it or they don't, and the birds are better off not having it, everything about them is better. Which is one reason why I have tried to convice people to break the cycle and to try and get rid of it and to try to breed for a cleaner flock.

Yep, I agree, 100%.​

First I will give you a website to search and tell you how to navigate it, go to www.tiamutin.com when the page comes up there is a menu on the left, locate pig and poultry diseases and click on that, about half way down the page is about chickens, so skip the pig stuff, read thru the chickens information, then look above the menu see the empty box, in that box enter the word lesions and hit go, another page will come up, from the list locate mycoplasmas and click on that and read, this explains how it starts, once you are done reading that, go back to the box, put the words field trials in the box, there are 3 of them, once you start reading thru them you will find this is rated better than anything we currently have her for the birds, this product is not available to us in the US, its made here and shipped to Europe where it is labeled for pigs and poultry, it isn't even available in Canada, I found what we have here, same drug slightly different amount, very slight, in the box also do 12.5 solution and hit go, pay particular attention to the precautions of what can't be in the feed when using this, also in the box put the word coccidiosis and hit go, another page will come up, from the list locate anti=coccidials and click on that and read, those are the drugs that are safe to use with this product, using anything else other than what is stated from this site as safe can cause stunting of growth and even death, so you have to pay particular attention to the precautions and not ignore them, any other drugs used should be at least 7 days before or after the use of what I use to be safe, I would say wormers are even out when using this to be safe. Medicated chick starter with Amprolium in it is what I use for started chicks, and again I called the manufacturer of the feed to make for sure that was what they used. Also in the box put the words zero egg if it isn't in the menu and read thru that. There are 2 different poultry dosage charts, one is from the menu, the other you put in the empty box to access, you will see on the one there is headers at the top, one header says preventataive, the other says treatment, you will notice the treatment dosages are different from the preventative dosages and you will also see this can be used several different ways depending upon how you choose to use it.

It is important you read thru what I have already given you for searches, I don't tell what I use until you have done that to know all of the precautions, we are using this off label and using the European sites dosage and precautions for using it. After you have read thru the information contact me again, and I will tell you what to get and where it is the most reasonably priced.

This is lengthy doing the searches but necessary that you know all about it and particularlly the precautions for its use. And I appologize for it being lengthy.

Victoria

I copied my post from a PM since others are also wanting the information it will be easier just typing thing once instead of several times, hope this helps, and again I apologize for having to ask people for doing searches I wouldn't if it wasn't necessary.

The other thing you will see from the Tiamutin sites front page is it says made in Austria, it said that a couple of years ago too, I contacted the company here and the Large Animal Vet or Farm Animal Vet told me it was made here and shipped to Europe, that is how I know that.

Also notice down in the right hand corner of the front page, a flower, that is what this is derived from.

Certain states do also offer the MS and MG testing, it is not normally a part of the NPIP testing and you have to ask for those tests ahead of time to know if they are available, most of the time they are at a cost.

The woman that did testing in Missouri when she first did the testing did the NPIP and also asked for the other tests to be done as well, the year she did that it was free by the state, some states charge and others don't, and they can change from year to year their policy on what they charge, so you have to contact your state to find out what testing is free and what testing has to be paid for.

Victoria

Also I believe the AI test is also a separate test from the NPIP normal test, the test as I understand it is for Polluriuam Typhoid, again checking with the state will tell you for sure.

I'll know more about this next spring, I'm on the list for classes to become an NPIP tester.

Victoria

Back
Top Bottom