(Chicken got a cold?) Added Info.(MS/MG,ILT,CRD,NPIP)

NPIP is to certify your flock is free of Influenza and Pullorum.

MG & MS, on the other hand, are not part of NPIP, at least in my state.

One of the folks who had my birds they bought tested did test for mycoplamas. I realize that is not the most common test, but she wanted those tests done and has hers tested every four months. I would feel differently about NPIP if they always tested for MG & MS as well as AI, Pullorum and Typhoid. So, I did not misspeak on that count.​

Quote:
I've had many people angered at me for my opinion that the NPIP program should have upgraded their testing with other illness' that our birds carry. One being AI and MS/MG. Granted you couldn't be able to test them like NPIP but if your selling or showing birds I feel more needs to done to protect each other.
We can quarentine new birds and with many of these conditions and we will not see any ill health, they have built up tolerance.
So you will not have any signs.
I am amazed at how many people scream that they are MG negative yet have not had the blood tests to back it up. Once your soil, feed bags, wild birds, cats/dogs, etc have brought it in, its there. You do not have to dip your feet and car tires, but you need to place shoes near the house/pen door for that use.
I dunno, its a subject that there is no 100% right or wrong. I am up front to folks that my birds have MG- I believe. Maybe I don't, maybe I do- I have not had testing done so I don't feel I can say I DO NOT.
There are so many views on these subjects that I would have to say "test your birds before selling hatching eggs, chicks or birds", begin a new fad. That way NO ONE can come back on you, you know what your birds have and carry. Show test papers for these conditions and NPIP.

Quote:
NPIP is to certify your flock is free of Influenza and Pullorum.

MG & MS, on the other hand, are not part of NPIP, at least in my state.

NPIP is the test for Pullorum disease and fowl typhoid Not Influenza.

Chris

In Michigan they also test for Influenza
wink.png
and pardon that I forgot Typhoid....silly me!!

So you swab the mouth and vents of chickens? Or do you pull blood? I would think either one would have to be sent to the State.
I know the antigen that is used for the NPIP test will only work for the NPIP test and not the
Influenza...
I believe here in Ohio all Influenza tests has to be done by a state vet.

Chris

Here is WV, they only test for AI if we plan to take birds out of state.

It involves taking blood, banding birds and sending the sample to a lab... 4 days later we get our green card
big_smile.png

Quote:
See that is the way it is here in Ohio.
My wife is NPIP certified and the only test she is allowed to do is the test for pullorum disease and fowl typhoid. But when birds go through a sale here in Ohio the state vet is there to swab the chickens for influenza...
Chris

Last edited:
They can swab for MS/MG too now. AI testing is up to you at events, not manditory. The Poultry Tech here goes to events and asks if you want your birds tested. It does go for statistics at this point and is a way to monitor the states back yard birds.
Although at the auctions they do test all birds, NPIP if they do not have papers already to AI. I was pleased to have my birds for AI swabs, it keeps me healthy too, even tho many folks think its a governmental way of control (sigh).
Aparently NPIP tested birds can come from NH (I'm in Maine) for "shows", not to be sold. That is another whole can of worms that I thought I'd clarify!!!! Can someone remind me of how dumb that was.
he.gif

I'm enjoying everyones imput and comments.

Wow
How did I miss this thread. I want to learn every thing I can about bird illnesses and diseases. Its better to know as much as possible before it ever happens to your flock.

Good thing. The only losses of birds I have had are from birds injuring other birds. Birds can be a mean species. Right now I have a one eyed quail. The others pecked its eye out.

caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom