(Chicken got a cold?) Added Info.(MS/MG,ILT,CRD,NPIP)

Walltenders I must say I agree with what you say. I do have birds with it, not tested positive, but here I am saying IMO, that when one of my birds get a secondary infection, I will give them the antibiotic, yet if you keep treating, you will make the birds resistant to the meds.

I know people that (not all) show birds NEVER take their best breeding birds, you will find one that may qualify for a ribbon and then go from there. Personally I feel, and I am not a vet (once again), but just talking to a past poultry barn owner, it was always "no admittance" per order of the state, and when they had pet birds and the poultry were vaccinated, even though the birds were over 50- 100 feet away, bio-security was followed to the T, the house hold pet birds died.

Getting me to not buy or take "battery" birds or older poultry Co. birds they get rid of...our back yard birds do not have immunity to the inoculations that they have had. It can wreak holy heck on your back yard buddies. For my birds that have gone on to show (just beginning) they go into a house for 3 weeks (hutch) and give them a small amount of freedom until the 4th week, they can go back with their breed. But they do not go near our layers. Its a big chance we take, but its a choice that I and many more make.

I am so glad that you came upon your own opinion, there is such a conviction of information, I wish a State Vet and Diagnostic would look into these issues, and it wont be from the back yard owners, but it will be from the farms. Eh, what do I know, I just wanted people to be aware.
idunno.gif

well im by know means an expert on this stuff,but ive read alot about it and i see alot of people freaking out over it and im not sure why.i have some infected birds,and was told by more then a few on here to cull, and it really doesnt seem like a huge deal to me.ive never lost any do to it,and i only medicate if i hear alot of wheezing,which is hardly ever.dont misunderstand me,i would prefer my birds to be totally healthy but they live outside and i dont see how you can avoid it.i dont want to make anyone mad,cause this seems to be a hot subject,just trying to understand why everyones freaking out about it and culling their birds..

Quote:
its easier to cull your birds and assume you solved the problem and buy more birds and reinfect them and cull and rinse and repeate (hense the sarcasm I get tired of unexperianced people telling others to cull there flocks. take everything you hear on forums with a grain of salt. I was told to cull my whole flock on here once Instead I shipped birds off to be tested and came back clear was a dust problem since there wheat fields and all the red dirt kicked up when working grounds.) then to work Towards resistance. I use to believe that Bio securitywas the only route to take but its definatly not Bio security is a joke to MG/MS that doesnt mean I will stop using it ever it just means that while I practice Bio security I will try my best to strenghten resistances in my flocks.

Last edited:
Quote:
its easier to cull your birds and assume you solved the problem and buy more birds and reinfect them and cull and rinse and repeate then to work Towards resistance. I use to believe that Boi securitywas the only route to take but its definatly not Bio security is a joke to MG/MS that doesnt mean I will stop using it ever it just means that while I practice Bio security I will try my best to strenghten resistances in my flocks.

i totally agree with you.i love my birds to much to cull them over something they can live with.

Quote:
its easier to cull your birds and assume you solved the problem and buy more birds and reinfect them and cull and rinse and repeate then to work Towards resistance. I use to believe that Boi securitywas the only route to take but its definatly not Bio security is a joke to MG/MS that doesnt mean I will stop using it ever it just means that while I practice Bio security I will try my best to strenghten resistances in my flocks.

i totally agree with you.i love my birds to much to cull them over something they can live with.

LOL I still own the Menopausal hens that began my query on these subjects! Its been mentioned to be a sticky, but people still keep coming in, asking questions, and they should. I did like this sentence
its easier to cull your birds and assume you solved the problem

. Biosecurity is important, I will give that importance, there are diseases that can be prevented by simple bio-security, and some things are bird spread, be it finch, migratory birds or dogs cats and rodents.​

I'd love to hear some input as far as IB vaccinations - anyone have any good/bad experiences with the vaccine? We were planning on vaccinating against Mareks (day old chicks) and then IB in all the birds probably once a year. We do plan to show, my chicken partner's sons already show (we have all the birds at her place) and are scared of these two big flock killers.

I've taken birds to show and brought them back home, and that I do different than everybody else too, Im always the last one to be putting my birds up into a cage, before any of my birds are caged I take a can of Tektrol with me and spray their entire cage, the cages on all 4 sides of me and the aisleways with Tektrol, then I put my birds in their cage, I also don't use any of their food or water, I bring my own water which is treated and my food, and the whole time I'm at the show I stay with my birds and about every 2 hours I spray the Aisleways with Tektrol, alot of people don't see me do this as I have a huge purse and don't spray when others are in the aisleways. I also took care of a couple of other peoples birds for them in 2008 at the Ohio National Show, same as I did my own birds, when I shipped their birds back to them I checked with them to make sure their birds weren't showing any symptoms of any diseases, and both of those people told me their birds were fine. I just am not comfortable with leaving my birds in those cages and not doing anything, so that's why I do a few extra steps for my birds. I also remove my birds as soon as I possibly can to keep them from being exposed to anything. And another thing about going to a show if you do see a bird that is sickly you can always go to the people that are running the show and let them know because they are not supposed to allow birds showing symptoms to be in a Show, so keep that in mind also.

Quote:
I don't blame you for taking extra steps. Unfortunately with some diseases, the judge can pass, or even the dust from a bird 1/2 way on the other side of the building. It can be scary but really glad that you care about your birds. You know most of the time I have not seen other show birds ill either, but as a huge precautionary, set your show birds aside and use Bio-security for added measures.
Good luck on up coming shows and maybe we'll meet one day. (I'm just starting to show)

I'm starting to think that biosecurity is a joke as well. It's well known that the big commercial operations have lots of mg/ms in thier flocks and no one practices tighter bio then them.
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom