Chicken got attacked by raccoon, has a hole under her wing

It is almost impossible to find amoxicillin capsules right now, but here is a link for the 500 mg.

https://www.medi-vet.com/Fish-Mox-Forte-Amoxicillin-500mg-p/14042.htm

Dosage is 57 mg per pound of weight, so get a weight on her and round off the dosage. For instance most birds get 250 mg twice a day for 7 days. Those capsules contain 2 doses, so break a capsule and mix it into some peanut butter or cream cheese, something that she will eat.
So you think it is caused by infection ? I just bought the b-complex for human from Walgreens. Do I try to feed her the b-complex? I’m not sure how much to give her. The website says it’s out of stock? Is there anything else I could buy for antibiotics for her ?

If you or relatives and friends have any leftover people prescriptions, those work for chickens. Just find them and tell us what they are and what strength and we can help figure out the dosage.

I did some online crawling and found that no fish antibiotics are available, and Midland the main supplier is no longer producing them. It appears that after threatening to curtail these over-the-counter meds for two decades, the US government is finally cracking down on outlets selling them, as of January 2024. The US has joined Europe and Canada and Australia is curbing the procurement of these meds except through a licensed vet.

I suggest cultivating your local vet to assist you in acquiring amoxicillin to keep on hand for your chickens, and also enlist all family and friends to save leftover antibiotics for you.

I did some online crawling and found that no fish antibiotics are available, and Midland the main supplier is no longer producing them. It appears that after threatening to curtail these over-the-counter meds for two decades, the US government is finally cracking down on outlets selling them, as of January 2024. The US has joined Europe and Canada and Australia is curbing the procurement of these meds except through a licensed vet.

I suggest cultivating your local vet to assist you in acquiring amoxicillin to keep on hand for your chickens, and also enlist all family and friends to save leftover antibiotics for you.
Ok. Thank you for the note. I will try to find antibiotics. So you think this is caused by infection and has to be administered with antibiotics instead of the B-complex ? Is there a chance she can heal without antibiotics? Meanwhile, Would a warm epsom salt bath help her ?

Most of us here are going to need to resort to other means of healing than antibiotics, it appears. After all, it's really the immune system that is responsible for most of the healing. The antibiotic is only to target the bacterium and take shots at it, reducing the numbers so the immune system can kick the rest out.

We'll need to read up on homeopathic/herbal substances such as St John's Wort, which you might consider giving to your patient as it can help with lameness. Others such as Echinacea and turmeric can help with infection. Research the internet for more. But before you give anything to your chickens, search to see if it is a toxin to poultry or you could end up with a poisoned chicken.

Most of us here are going to need to resort to other means of healing than antibiotics, it appears. After all, it's really the immune system that is responsible for most of the healing. The antibiotic is only to target the bacterium and take shots at it, reducing the numbers so the immune system can kick the rest out.

We'll need to read up on homeopathic/herbal substances such as St John's Wort, which you might consider giving to your patient as it can help with lameness. Others such as Echinacea and turmeric can help with infection. Research the internet for more. But before you give anything to your chickens, search to see if it is a toxin to poultry or you could end up with a poisoned chicken.
the whole poultry industry is in the same boat, so there is actually a lot of research being done now. And the journal Poultry Science is open access (free to view) so it is not hard to find out what's being investigated and how trials went.

Ok. Thank you for the note. I will try to find antibiotics. So you think this is caused by infection and has to be administered with antibiotics instead of the B-complex ? Is there a chance she can heal without antibiotics? Meanwhile, Would a warm epsom salt bath help her ?
No, keep up the b complex. Offer her tantalizing treats to get her appetite going, watermelon is a good way to get her blood glucose up which will help with appetite. Keep up with the b complex, also do the compress and antibiotic ointment to loosen the scab.

Back
Top Bottom