Chicken got bite by dog.

fish220

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 10, 2013
I have a chicken that had leg problems recently so I brought her inside so she can heal easier. Thankfully her legs have gotten better, but one of my teacup poodles got her. The poodle only has 2 teeth because she is a rescued dog. Chicky got 2 punctures on the neck area. The first day I rinsed it out as best as I can and applied antibiotics to the wound and dressed the wound. The second day she found a way to remove the dressing and was found cleaning her feathers around her wound. So I cleaned her up again rinsing her wounds again, adding more antibiotic cream to stop it from infecting. I kept doing this for 3 more days but I started to notice one of the punctures is starting to swell. I need a better opinion of if this is infection setting in or if this is part of the normal healing process. If this is the start of an infection how can I battle this as she is still perky and just as happy as she always has been. She is also eating and drinking fine. I also clipped some feathers back some so I can put the cream on and clean her wound. She doesn't mind that I clipped her feathers, as long as I give her a treat in return. I'll post some better pictures in a bit just would like some more info with people more experienced than me.

Attachments

• chick.jpg
    chick.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Chick2.jpg
    Chick2.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 13
So 2 Days ago I went to a Vet that to my surprise the veterinarian was a chicken show judge and knew a lot about chickens. So I talked to her and got some Silvidene cream and some oral Baytril antibiotics for my girl. I now need help getting swelling down. Does anyone have methods to bring swelling down that are effective for the neck area of a chicken. I can post some pictures in a little bit. Anything that can bring swelling down will be very appreciated, and thank you for your help.

Here are some pictures of her wounds.

Attachments

• Chick3.jpg
    Chick3.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Chick4.jpg
    Chick4.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom