chicken got scared, had seizure(?) and died?

afycso

Hatching
Jul 13, 2023
My family and I are relatively new at raising chickens, and we got our first few a few months back. I got three more around two months ago. We've tried to get the first group to get along with them so they could eventually live in the coop, but we've had no luck so far :( so for this reason we've had to bring the second group inside everyday after they free range. Today my brother and I were trying to bring them in, and they started running all over the place as they always do because they hate going inside. Eventually we got them on our porch, and one of them tried to hide by our outdoor furniture, a small table and some light chairs. The chair fell, made a loud noise, and all of a sudden he started freaking out. At first I thought he just got spooked, but eventually it turned into crazily flapping and flipping all over the place. I know the chair didn't hurt him because my brother was on one side and I was on the other, and neither of us saw it hitting him. After a minute or two of the flapping he just stopped, laid on his side. I thought maybe he'd make it as he was moving a bit. His comb was pale, his eyes were slightly open. I left him there for a bit to see if he'd eventually perk up but an hour later he was frozen stiff :( After I picked him up he had a bit of blood on him. What couldve happened? It couldn't be because of illness I think, all of our chickens are happy and healthy. Did it literally scare him to death? Was this a seizure? His siblings keep calling for him, and it breaks my heart.

Sorry for your loss. Chickens can actually die of a heart attack if they are spooked or stressed out. Where was the blood on him? How old are all of your chickens? It is common when bringing in new chickens for them to be afraid. I would spend some time with them all together, maybe sitting in a lawn chair, giving out a nutritious treat, and hopefully, they will eventually get used to each other.

Sorry for your loss. Chickens can actually die of a heart attack if they are spooked or stressed out. Where was the blood on him? How old are all of your chickens? It is common when bringing in new chickens for them to be afraid. I would spend some time with them all together, maybe sitting in a lawn chair, giving out a nutritious treat, and hopefully, they will eventually get used to each other.
Thank you. And I thought that could've been the case, but wasn't sure. He had a bit of blood by his neck. My first group of chickens are almost four months old, the second group are around 2 months old. We've been taking the younger group outside with the others when they turned 4 weeks old. They're somewhat used to each other but there's still some occasional bullying through biting or chasing. The younger ones tend to keep away. I've been doing exactly what you suggested and it's definitely helped, the bullying used to be so much worse. But it seems it'll be awhile until they'll be completely okay with each other. We're thinking of dividing the coop with some mesh or wire so they can see each other but not hurt each other. Just need to find the time to do it. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom