Chicken had impacted crop that resolved now no crop

Sherri1990

Songster
Jun 4, 2020
I posted a couple days ago about my 28 yo buff Orpington. She had a crop issue that I thought was resolved. Now I can’t feel her crop at all. I saw her eat and I gave her some scramble egg afterwards. I just checked her crop again and I feel almost nothing. She won’t take any treats or water and she keeps spacing out. She is also showing weight loss. I have her inside with a scrambled egg and water and she is just zoned out. What is going on? She is a layer and had not laid in 3 days but no signs of egg binding.

Make sure that she is drinking water. Perhaps you can mix a little mash of chicken feed plus a lot of water and offer that to her. Her crop should normally not be felt in early morning, after emptying during the hours of sleep, but it should feel up as the day goes on.

Make sure that she is drinking water. Perhaps you can mix a little mash of chicken feed plus a lot of water and offer that to her. Her crop should normally not be felt in early morning, after emptying during the hours of sleep, but it should feel up as the day goes on.
She just had a poop that was nothing but unrates. I tried mash but she won’t take it. She is just standing there like a statue.she was walking around a little when I let her out at 7. Now nothing. I’m worried because I lost 2 birds to mereks. I am wondering if the crop issue activated the mereks virus? She is completely zoned out.

Mareks can cause tumors in the crop and proventriculous. Time will tell if she has Mareks, but it usually makes carriers of the whole flock and remains in the environment possibly for years.

I did just get her to eat mealworms and fly larvae mixed with egg. I’m keeping her inside and hopefully she will start to perk up.

Mareks can cause tumors in the crop and proventriculous. Time will tell if she has Mareks, but it usually makes carriers of the whole flock and remains in the environment possibly for years.
I just gave her chicken scratch and she ate all of it. About a tablespoon. Something is better then nothing right?? I always measure out the treats for my flock but I just want her to eat. Is this ok?

Well done on getting your girl to eat, although not sure that will be the easiest to digest with a bad crop. Then again, I have been feeding all sorts to our poorly hen to get her to eat! She started eating again after gaining some energy from Vetark Critical Care Formula - not sure if you can get that easily there? It's a powder with glucose and proteins which you mix with water. Other things our sick hens seem to like: scrambled egg or their food as a mash (which you've already tried), fish (salmon or tuna are hits, but not salty!), squashed garden peas, grated carrot, oatmeal (I mixed some grit into it to get her to eat some to aid digestion). Not sure if you could try any of those things perhaps? I've also been adding olive oil to help movement through the crop.

Is it possible that the flock didn’t let her eat and that’s why she is like this today? Now she is pigging out. She still isn’t moving around much but appetite is back.

Is it possible that the flock didn’t let her eat and that’s why she is like this today? Now she is pigging out. She still isn’t moving around much but appetite is back.

That is a possibility. When you decide she's well enough to go back with the flock, you should spend some time watching to see if that's an issue.

Since she's pigging out now, I would be sure to offer as much normal chicken food as she wants--if she's willing to eat it, it's probably the best thing for her.

Back
Top Bottom