Chicken harness?

ChickenKiera

Songster
Oct 17, 2019
Is there a harness for suitable for a chick and if so where can I find one? Because I want to get them used to a harness when they are older so I can take them for a walk (not in the streets but my grandad has a field where they will live so I will take them there to eat grass and see people)

What you envision isn't practical.Yes, they do have harnesses for adult chickens, but they are meant to control a suddenly flappy chicken in a setting where you don't want an out-of control chicken. They aren't meant as "chicken walking" devices.

Chicks double in size each week, so a baby chick harness, if they even existed, would be hard to keep fitted on a little chick.

However, I understand that you want to be able to control your chicken when you take it out of its chicken coop. Chickens are very easily trained, and it doesn't take a lot of time or experience. You can start training the first week you have a chick. (I hope this chick will have some friends and will not be alone.)

All you need to do to get a chick or chicken to come to you when you call them is to offer treats and say a word or use a device such as a clicker (found at PetSmart for $1) or a rattle as you show the chicks the treats. Very soon they will come running when you say the word or make the special noise. They remember this training for the rest of their lives.

But a chicken isn't like a dog. Chickens aren't especially interested in being obedient and pleasing you, and they are more inclined than dogs to have their own agenda when you take them out into a field full of grass and wonderful bugs. They tend to completely ignore their human when they are allowed to engage in their favorite activity - scratching for bugs.

I have harnesses for my girls and like @azygous says they are not very obedient. First they are a pain to get on. The girls don't exactly cooperate. Once on you don't take them for a walk. They walk where they want and you follow. They are nothing like a dog you can train to walk with you. You might get them to follow with a few treats. Good luck

ChickenKeria , I have heard that chicken harnesses can harm your chickens by irratating their skin. I don't know though if this is true because I've never used one. But I suggest holding them plenty while their young . So when their older they will ride around on your shoulders. Even better than walking them! :woot

Chicken harnesses aren’t good for chickens of any size. While they may seem cute and a good idea, the chickens don’t really enjoy them.

ChickenKeria , I have heard that chicken harnesses can harm your chickens by irratating their skin. I don't know though if this is true because I've never used one. But I suggest holding them plenty while their young . So when their older they will ride around on your shoulders. Even better than walking them! :woot
Make sure they don’t have poop on their feet when you put them on your shoulder. :)

Thankyou everyone, I wasn’t going to put a harness on them every day I was just going to try it out to see if they would like to scratch around in different places, so I think I will just leave harnesses to one side because I don’t want them to get too stressed out and they have been “hand raised” so when they are older I will be able to just hold them and they won’t freak out (
Make sure they don’t have poop on their feet when you put them on your shoulder. :)
I’ll check:lau

Thankyou everyone, I wasn’t going to put a harness on them every day I was just going to try it out to see if they would like to scratch around in different places, so I think I will just leave harnesses to one side because I don’t want them to get too stressed out and they have been “hand raised” so when they are older I will be able to just hold them and they won’t freak out (

I’ll check:lau
Good. Based on my personal experience. :lau:oops:

If the field is fairly private and you have your chicken "trained" enough to not run away from you, you can "walk" the chicken by following behind and using a stick to kind of direct it where you want to go. I let my chickens out for a little bit every afternoon, herd them around the yard, then once I take them back in I immediately toss them some treats. They have the routine down and are happy to run back to the pen for snacks.

Back
Top Bottom