Chicken has diarrhea and wheezing

Panicky

Chirping
Jul 15, 2019
New England
About a week ago, I noticed that my one chicken, Pushkins, started to stay away from the rest of the flock. She soon developed diarrhea, and so about three days ago I brought her inside to help her out. She also sounds like she's wheezing, almost like a cat purr. So far I have been giving her sugar water and chick food mixed with corn oil, as she has lost a lot of weight because of her illness. I would really like some help as she looks miserable and she is our oldest living bird we have. Pushkins is a very special bird

Other info:
She is about six years old
The diarrhea is green with some white, and is coated on her bottom
She is still eating and drinking, but not much
She is in a "droopy" position, with her tail much lower than her head. She usually never is droopy
We use hay for our bedding and clean it out about every week

It's so sad when one of our older flock members gets sick because so often it can be the end. Much of the time it's either cancer or a chronic reproductive infection.

While those are the most likely causes of Pushkin's illness, we can't rule out crop disorders and other types of illness such as a bacterial infection from eating something nasty from compost or even coccidiosis.

The first thing to do is check her crop. Is it full or empty? Hard or soft? Has she been digging in compost? How about scummy puddles?

If you would add your location to your profile, we could deduce a lot from knowing your climate conditions.

Her crop is empty. It literally feels like she has no crop. That is very strange as usually it is the fullest crop out of our chickens.
We've got some puddles where she could've gotten to, and when we let them from their own they can get to their old bedding. Could that be a cause?
Also, I just updated my location to New England, if that can help. It's been warm, then cold, then warm. It's currently rather cold

Please post a picture of her poop. That can give us some clues.

She might benefit from an oral antibiotic. Do you happen to have any on hand? Penicillin, amoxicillin, etc?

IMG_20200105_102251610.jpg

This is it. It doesn't smell too bad but is rather loquat as you can see

That looks a lot like EYP. (Egg yolk peritonitis.) It's a very serious, and untreatable at the later stages, reproductive disorder. But we can't diagnose for sure. Only a vet can do that. You can try treating with an antibiotic and see if she responds. If an antibiotic is going to work, you will usually see improvement within 48 hours, and steady improvement after that.

Here is where I buy my antibiotics. Fish mox 250mg is what I recommend. One capsule directly into the beak each day for ten days. https://pet-healthcare.revivalanimal.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=fish antibiotics

I checked on her early this morning and she was just fine. I left to go fed my horses, and when I came back she was dead. :hit
Thank you so much for helping me. I only wish I had brought her inside earlier

She was one of our oldest chickens ever and I'm glad that she had such a long life.

I'm sorry. Given her age, she was likely in the final stages of EYP. It's hard to treat because by the time you see symptoms, the infection has usually gone too far for antibiotics to treat. You sure did your best, though.

Yes, keep her memory in your heart. Many of us have more cherished chickens living in our hearts than live ones out in the run.

Back
Top Bottom