Chicken has foot problems, can't walk

thefeatheryone

Hatching
Jun 22, 2016
I have an 8-month old Rhode Island Red, who has had leg problems in the past few months. She had trouble walking, constantly flapped her wings to keep balance, and sometimes walked on the tops of her feet. Over time, the problem worsened and she could not sit straight. Could someone please help? I can't risk losing her.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Sounds like she could have Mareks disease. Did your birds get a Mareks shot as day olds? Mareks is caused by a virus and is not really curable. Some do survive, but it is rare. Generally what happens is the bird slowly becomes paralyzed and dies. The fact that your bird has had this condition for a period of time and has gotten worse could indicate Mareks. The other things I list below come on a bit quicker. Mareks is most the likely cause of your birds issues.

Tetanus can also cause similar symptoms. If the bird got a bad enough puncture wound and contracted Tetanus, they will slowly become paralyzed and die as well.

Even botulism will cause these symptoms as well and kill them.

Vitamin deficiencies will cause extreme weakness and difficulty walking or standing.

Hopefully someone else will chime in here with more information on this matter.

@casportpony Kathy, any thoughts here about Mareks?

I haven't seen anything similar to her symptoms. Here's a picture:

Gosh I am so sorry.
hugs.gif
I am really not sure other than the suggestions I listed above. I am hoping Kathy @casportpony chimes in here. She knows a bit more about possible Mareks.

I sure hope you can save her!

Sadly, she died about a day ago. I'm not sure what caused it, but my heart is broken. Thanks for all of your advice.

Back
Top Bottom