chicken has given up on life.

Pics

flappychicken

Songster
Nov 16, 2017
NH
My poor baby warf wont eat or drink she has been like this for weeks and I fear that I am not doing enough for her I have been basically force feeding her yogurt and blueberry juice (along with water).

What's wrong with her: She went blind in one eye, now she has just given up on life. she is weak and I don't know how to help her. the only thing that is really wrong is she is blind other then that she has just given up.

Is warf her name, or some kind of chicken? How old is she? Is she old enough to lay eggs? Is her blind eye grey in color or cloudy? Can you try to get Poultry NutriDrench and give her a few drops orally? Wet chicken feed mixed with a lot of water and soft chopped egg would be good to offer her. I would not force feed her, but offer it up to her beak in a small cup or scoop. Fluids are more important than food at first, but the wet feed will get more fluids into her. Tube feeding may be necessary until you can get hereating or find out what is going on.

she is an Ancona and her name is Warf like the klingon from star trek.
she is about 2 years old and her eye started out cloudy grey and then went cloudy and greenish and swollen. I separated her then (it changed with in days, so I was going to let her stay with the other hens (and one rooster) but when it went bad I separated her)

she used to eat out of my hand (well spoon) but then she just stopped I thought it was a fase but after a day or so I tried force feeding her and now she wont eat at all, she is not eating ANYTHING and I'm getting scared, she had lost at least 1/2 of her body weight and I can't get it back on her, I don't think she has much longer if I can't get this weight back on her.

(I was thinking of just taking her to our dog's vet but I'm not sure about that. like what would happen (like I pay $60 just to have them say NAH just kill the chicken) AHHH!

Okay did I answer all the questions? *sigh* I am totally stressed out!

A photo would really help but it is possible she has a disease called Marek's which is unfortunately not curable. In the final stages it produces tumours and is like cancer. If she is no longer interested in food and she hasn't eaten in days then it would probably be kinder to end her suffering.
There is a time to die for all things, much as we would wish it otherwise. If you have the money to take her to the vet and it would make you feel better (like you have tried everything to fix her) then do it. The vet should give advice based on what is best for the bird, which may be to put her to sleep even though you do not want to hear that. My guess is that if she is as poorly as she sounds, she may save you the trouble of making that decision. At least giving us the chance to see a photo or two of her, particularly a close up of her eye, might indicate if Marek's is the likely cause or if it may be something else.

Can she walk or is she having any weakness in her limbs? So many different illnesses can affect chickens. Mareks is one of them. Blindness is also common from other diseases, such as cataracts, ,injuries, infections, vitamin deficiency, avian encephalomyelitis—a virus that affects chicks under a month old with tremors, but can cause blindness as well, and others. It sounds like you may lose her if she refuses food and water. You may want to degt a necropsy by your state poultry vet to look for a cause of death. Promptly refrigerate and save the body, then contact the state vet. Here is a good link with contact info for each state:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Warf is an Ancona she was eating grass, grains, bugs and other random house scraps like old bread or fruit. before the eye thing happened then when it was going on she stopped eating because she couldn't find the food so I helped her out by making sure she could find it. Then she just stopped eating even when I gave her bugs or spinach she just wouldn't eat.

(also I tried sending pics but they wouldn't go so I will try again later on my laptop not my phone.)

Back
Top Bottom