Chicken has one eye closed

Sandbellie

Songster
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
New Hampshire
Hello everyone.

I have a chicken who keeps one eye closed, and one open. She opens the eye occasionally, but it is closed most of the time. When she does open it, the eyeball appears to be normal looking. Her general behavior is normal; eating, drinking, walking around.

I'm not too sure on what I should do about this issue. Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Last edited:
this happened to my duck right when she had babies hatchong we put neosporine on them... but they were cloudy and she didnt open them maybe she just has a lazy eye

That's how the infection that spread through my flock started! After a few birds started to act the same, I went to a vet, who was perplexed because there were no other symptoms and apparently infections affecting just the eye aren't very common in chickens. He gave medicated eyedrops (the same ones kids get for pinkeye!) to be given 3 times a day to all poultry whether infected yet or not. Because my hens quickly started to have a lot of pus that was sealing the eye closed several times a day, that wasn't enough. Often I couldn't even see the eye to put drops into, so I used a paper towel soaked in warm water to carefully remove the crust and get it open. I had to do this about 6 times a day, including through the night. After I started this process, all infections cleared up after 4-5 days and they've been healthy ever since.
Hope all goes well and maybe someone else will have advice that doesn't require a pricey vet visit!!

Back
Top Bottom