Chicken has something caught in throat

Barb03

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 28, 2009
I have a 18 month Coachin who "coughs" and sounds like she has something in her throat. It's been like that for a long time, and she eats, drinks, lays eggs with no aparent problem. I thought it would go away after a while when it didn't make her sick, now I want to check if there really is something caught but have no idea how to go about doing it. She makes a funny cackle-cough sound and shakes her head like she is trying to disloge something. Can anyone give me an idea as how to go about doing this without hurting her?
Thanks!

I had a chicken with something stuck in her throat and after feeding her one evening she struggled and I accidentally squeezed her throat. She sneezed and whatever it was got dislodged. We were lucky though! Another chick I rescued had the same problem and we lost her : (
I've since read about similar cases here on this site and the advice given was to pour a little olive oil down her throat and gently massage it. Try that?

I will try the olive oil. Caught her tonight and she let me look down her throat,(even laid her tongue down) but I couldn't see anything. If something is caught it's way down there. Other than the olive oil I don't think I will bother her about it. She just sounds weird, and shakes her head all the time! But she sems healthy. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom