Chicken hatched with intestines out

chickengal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
I have a chick that has hatched with what I think is the intestines on the outhside of its body. I left it in the incubator 24 hours. It is walking around fine and chirping. Do I cull it or just wait and see what happens? Is there anything I can do to help? I have pics to post, but am not sure how to do this.

A pic would surely help. Are you sure it's not just the navel?

I do not recommend pushing anything on a young chick. If it is indeed intestines on the outside of the body, the chick will not live. If you are very sure this is what it is, I recommend culling, the sooner the better. If you are a minor, please get assistance and do not attempt this on your own. (If you are not a minor, my apologies. It's impossible to tell by your handwriting! There are lots of young folks with us here.)

Hope this helps. Please keep us posted on how things go!

It is hard to tell how much is hanging out. It looks like some of it is drying up, but there is probably about 1 in. still out. I did try to gently push it back in with a Q-tip, but I didn't want to push hard. I wasn't able to get it to go back in. Can someone tell me how to post a picture?

It could very well be the umbilical cord.

To post a picture, go the the "uploads" section by clicking the word in the blue bar at the top of the screen. There are directions there; when you upload the pics, copy the code and paste it into the message when you post a reply here.

Let us know if you need more help.

Here are some photos of my sick chick
sad.png

(not sure if these photos will post)

Give it another 24 hours and see if it dries on up. Don't let anything pick or pull at it or the chick may bleed to death. Keep it warm and fed. If it doesn't dry up and fall off or it turns green and smells, I would use a sharp pair of scissors and cull it quickly.

MissPrissy, thanks so much for posting here. Your experience is valued!

Do you think that is unabsorbed yolk sac or internal organs? I have never seen this firsthand, so I'm not sure.

I can't tell which it is. It won't hurt to see what 24 hour brings. If that thing gets snagged or pulled and the chick starts bleeding you'll have to do the deed I think.

Back
Top Bottom