Chicken hatching and raising keets

derbychick

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Charlestown, IN
I'd love to hear from people experienced with having a chicken hatch and raise guinea keets. I am planning to acquire some eggs soon for my Jersey Giant who apparently has strong maternal instincts. She's never had anything to hatch, but last spring/summer it seemed like she was broody more than she wasn't.

Having only ever bought day-old chicks before and raising them myself, I'm not sure what to do or expect. We have a separate small coop that I'd like to put her in to set and raise them. But then how and when would I actually integrate them back in with the other hens in the main coop?

This smaller coop has an enclosed area about 3 feet off the ground (roost and nest), with a ladder that goes down to the ground. Would that be too dangerous for the babies at first? I don't want them to fall off and get hurt...

Thanks for any advice! We really want this to work! :)

I'd love to hear from people experienced with having a chicken hatch and raise guinea keets. I am planning to acquire some eggs soon for my Jersey Giant who apparently has strong maternal instincts. She's never had anything to hatch, but last spring/summer it seemed like she was broody more than she wasn't.

Having only ever bought day-old chicks before and raising them myself, I'm not sure what to do or expect. We have a separate small coop that I'd like to put her in to set and raise them. But then how and when would I actually integrate them back in with the other hens in the main coop?

This smaller coop has an enclosed area about 3 feet off the ground (roost and nest), with a ladder that goes down to the ground. Would that be too dangerous for the babies at first? I don't want them to fall off and get hurt...

Thanks for any advice! We really want this to work! :)

My dark cornish hen raised 7 keets last year. I kept her separate from the rest of the flock for about a month. After that I let her take them out to free range and she just automatically took them back to the henhouse to be with the rest of the flock. Nobody dared to bother HER BABIES! Chickens make excellent mothers for keets.

As for your coop that is 3' off the ground, I would keep her and the keets confined in it for at least a week before giving them access to the ladder. If one fell out she may not leave the others to save it. It seems a little too high for babies in my opinion. But keets are real athletic after the first week or so and you would just have to monitor them closely when letting them use the ladder for the first time.

Last edited:
Chickens have hatched and raised MOST of my 37 Guineas. I never lost a keet when a chicken raised it.

They will follow around their chicken mamas for several months, probably long after the hen recognizes them as her babies.

If chickens raise keets they will tend to lay in the coop where they were raised, at least for a while.

Did you get your hatching eggs?

I am in Georgetown and I would buy some of your keets if the timing is right to brood them with my chicks. PM me if you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom