Chicken having problems with laying eggs + 10cm sac attached to vent

What kind of seeds do you give her? And how much? There is a possibility the seeds could be one part of it. The calcium sounds like a good idea for those soft eggs. Hope she gets well soon.

It's a scratch and lay mix, so a mixture of corn, barley, wheat, oats, pellets, etc. It also has calcium (oyster shell) in it. And less than a hand full per day.
Thank you :) She actually laid an egg today (the day after the mishap), which is confusing because its the first one in about a week.

I agree that diet needs further consideration here. You said that you cut back on treats when she started having problems but then you say that you were feeding her a small amount of seeds today.... these are also treats. Heavier birds like Orpingtons are at greater risk of obesity and associated reproductive problems due to dietary imbalance. Layer feed is formulated to be a complete feed and provide all the nutrients hens need to be healthy and lay eggs. Anything else you give is considered a treat and will reduce the amount of layer feed they eat. Treats that are higher in carbohydrates and fats than their layer feed can cause them to develop fatty deposits in their abdomen and around their organs as well reducing the amount of calcium they ingest. I appreciate that you say that you have cut back, but you really need to cut out any carbohydrate rich treats (grains and seeds), especially since you have been over treating her prior to this in order to try to redress any damage to her system that has already occurred. It really is possible to kill hens with kindness by being overly generous with treats. Try making a warm mash by soaking her layer pellets in water as a treat rather than giving other less healthy things.

The treats that I give her and a scratch and lay mixture, and I give them very sparsely (less than a hand full a day (some days they don't even get any)- so literally a few pinches)- but thats now. I am confused though, because the packet that the scratch and lay mixture comes in says that they should be given to them quite often. "Add liberally in feeders from 16 weeks of age" (under feeding guide on the packet).

I will admit we were a bit loose with the mixture when we first got the hens, which is why we have cut down. I will also agree with the fact that they were most likely eating less than the layer feed when getting those treats- and again, since we have cut down she has started eating a lot more of her layer feed.
I'll try the mash idea.
Thank you for replying to the thread, and for all of the information :)

47378786_370720260349990_2976749808888315904_n.jpg

How many chickens do you have total? A "handful" of scratch could be equal to two days worth of food if you only have a couple of young chickens. I hope you are throwing the scratch as far and wide as you can and not piling it up for them. Scratch is NOT food, it is a training tool to teach them to forage. Some people use it as a treat but it's like feeding a kid nothing but cotton candy. It's worse than junk food unless you use it to promote foraging. That's why they call it scratch, it teaches them to scratch out a meal by foraging.

The treats that I give her and a scratch and lay mixture, and I give them very sparsely (less than a hand full a day (some days they don't even get any)- so literally a few pinches)- but thats now. I am confused though, because the packet that the scratch and lay mixture comes in says that they should be given to them quite often. "Add liberally in feeders from 16 weeks of age" (under feeding guide on the packet).

I will admit we were a bit loose with the mixture when we first got the hens, which is why we have cut down. I will also agree with the fact that they were most likely eating less than the layer feed when getting those treats- and again, since we have cut down she has started eating a lot more of her layer feed.
I'll try the mash idea.
Thank you for replying to the thread, and for all of the information :)

View attachment 1608553
Do you give regular layer feed?
I would limit how much scratch they get each day, give about 1tablespoon of scratch per bird would be good.
Don't mix with you feed those, toss it as a treat.

That product is essentially scratch or mixed corn as we would call it here in the UK. The problem with it is that it is only 11.4% protein which is not enough for laying hens. It is also high in carbohydrates and unless the chickens are free ranging all day and burning off those carbs, they will be laid down as fat. Heavier birds are less likely to burn them off than lightweight active birds like leghorns, so they are more at risk of becoming obese. Since you have already stated that you believe you may have been over treating them and you have a hen experiencing laying issues, I would stop giving them any of this product altogether for a while (a month or two) and just supply a layer feed which should be around 16% protein.

From looking at the label on that "pet food only", it only has 11% percent protein.
Chickens need at least 16-18% if they are laying. If they are growing or molting they need even more.
A lot of people feed their birds 20-24% all flock/game bird feed with a bowl of oyster shell they can eat from if they get a hankering for some. That's usually how I feed mine and anyone I know that has done the same, their birds thrive!
Two other things that they can eat that's real good for them are Pig Popper Power Pellets 30% protein, and catfish pellets, but get the ones that sink, the floater pellets float because they are made chicken feathers and aren't as high in protein.

Last edited:
From looking at the label on that "pet food only", it only has 11% prevent protein.
Chickens need at least 16-18% if they are laying. If they are growing or molting they need even more.
A lot of people feed their birds 20-24% all flock/game bird feed with a bowl of oyster shell they can eat from if they get a hankering for some. That's usually how I feed mine and anyone I know that has done the same, their birds thrive!
Two other things that they can eat that's real good for them are Pig Popper Power Pellets 30% protein, and catfish pellets, but get the ones that sink, the floater pellets float because they are made chicken feathers and aren't as high in protein.
Protein has nothing to do with egg building..Calcium does

How many chickens do you have total? A "handful" of scratch could be equal to two days worth of food if you only have a couple of young chickens. I hope you are throwing the scratch as far and wide as you can and not piling it up for them. Scratch is NOT food, it is a training tool to teach them to forage. Some people use it as a treat but it's like feeding a kid nothing but cotton candy. It's worse than junk food unless you use it to promote foraging. That's why they call it scratch, it teaches them to scratch out a meal by foraging.

We only have two grown chickens at the moment (9 months). And yes, we throw them out, not pile the mixture in one place.

Back
Top Bottom