Chicken head and tail drooping

You dewormed? With what?

What are you feeding, including treats?

Poop can be many different colors.
I dewormed a while back using amprolium, I just finished the tylosan treatment but she still had a lash egg so I bought some amoxicillin, should I feed her the chicken probiotic first or use the next antibiotic as soon as possible.
As for food I give her high calcium layer feed that was wet feed until recently since she can eat a lot better now, I haven't really given her treats, though I have given her some calcium supplements mixed in with her feed as suggested by the folks on the thread.

Amprolium is a Coccidiostat, not a dewormer.

Salpingitis (Lash Egg) is inflammation of the oviduct. Antibiotics may help, but they aren't a cure. If the Amoxicillin came in, give it a try and see if it helps. Tylan/Tylosin is a good antibiotic, but it's mainly used for respiratory illness like MG.

If you have given the extra calcium for several days, then I would stop that and just feed her her normal feed.

Can you cut the egg open?

What do you feed including treats?
Does she have grit available?

Where are you located in the world?
I would get some Calcium into her, you can find Caltrate or Generic Calcium Carbonate at stores like WalMart or CVS. Give 1 tablet daily.
Hard to tell if that's a lash egg (Salpingitis) or just a bunch of membranes wrapped together. Either way, hard to expel and the Calcium can help with contractions.

If she were mine, I would also start her on an antibiotic like Amoxicillin. With the blood and the shape of the "egg", I would worry about infection. Antibiotics may help if this is not too advanced, but reproductive disorders eventually take their tole on hens. If you are in the US, you can order it online. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10-14 days. https://fishmoxfishflex.com/collections/amoxicillin-fish-antibiotics

Keep her drinking and if her crop is not emptying, then address that too.
You can get Aqua Mox amoxicillin online and possibly from a feed store. Dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day given orally for 10 days. That looks like a lash egg, typical of salpingitis, inflammation of the oviduct. Chicken layer feed is best for her, ACV won’t do anything for reproductive disorders. A human calcium tablet can help if laying unusual eggs or egg binding. Here is where to find amoxicillin (Aqua Mox:)
https://www.chewy.com/midland-vet-services-aqua-mox-fish/dp/344724?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12700039114&utm_content=Midland Vet Services&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw4eb3tee9gIVovzjBx2aswgVEAQYAyABEgLEfPD_BwE
reguardless of the method I use do I simply just put the amox in a cup of water and wait for it to disolve or do I need a specific amount of water? I don't wanna give her to much at once or something like that.

Amprolium is a Coccidiostat, not a dewormer.

Salpingitis (Lash Egg) is inflammation of the oviduct. Antibiotics may help, but they aren't a cure. If the Amoxicillin came in, give it a try and see if it helps. Tylan/Tylosin is a good antibiotic, but it's mainly used for respiratory illness like MG.

If you have given the extra calcium for several days, then I would stop that and just feed her her normal feed.
Okay good to know, I do hope antibiotics do help since she hasn't been laying an egg since that lash egg, although she has been pooping and eating.

Okay good to know, I do hope antibiotics do help since she hasn't been laying an egg since that lash egg, although she has been pooping and eating.

reguardless of the method I use do I simply just put the amox in a cup of water and wait for it to disolve or do I need a specific amount of water? I don't wanna give her to much at once or something like that.
No, I would not dissolve in water, the powder in the capsules usually does not mix well in water.
What do you have - 250 or 500mg capsules?
How much does she weigh?
Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10-14 days.
You can get Aqua Mox amoxicillin online and possibly from a feed store. Dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day given orally for 10 days.

No, I would not dissolve in water, the powder in the capsules usually does not mix well in water.
What do you have - 250 or 500mg capsules?
How much does she weigh?
She weighs around 5 pounds last time we weighed her. We will weigh her again to make sure. We have 250mg capsules, I thought that we were supposed to put in water because the aqua mox that you guys suggested I bought was originally for fish and the instructions were to put one capsule in for 10 gallons of water, obviously I know it isn't the same but that is why I was wondering. Do you want me to get her to digest the pill in her crop or simply to cut open the pill and to orally feed her the powder?

I would pop the 250mg capsule into her beak and let her swallow it.
I tried that but it looked like she might have almost choked so I had her spit it out, I know it doesn't mix well but I have been trying to give it to her via water for the past couple of days. Any other way that doesn't involve the pill I should try? Also she started laying eggs again and they aren't lash eggs, still not as often as she used to but I think she is getting older.

Back
Top Bottom