Chicken house talking

Chickie my my

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 3, 2014
Gulf Coast
I started this spring with thirty chicks, six barred rocks, six sex links, and nineteen New Hampshire Reds.Today I gave a close friend twelve of the Hampshire Reds and my Flock are stirred up ! I'm new to all this so please be forgiven of language.

I started this spring with thirty chicks, six barred rocks, six sex links, and nineteen New Hampshire Reds.Today I gave a close friend twelve of the Hampshire Reds and my Flock are stirred up ! I'm new to all this so please be forgiven of language.

Your language was just fine. What you have to say or ask is important to you, so it's also important to me! I think what you are saying is that you have reduced the number of birds in your flock, and it has confused the birds you have left. They are probably being noisy, running back and forth and even pecking at each other. That's very normal. Chickens don't like changes in their surroundings. Losing some of the birds they have been with since they were babies is a big change. Right now they are figuring out what the new pecking order will be. They will settle down as soon as they figure out between them who is going to be the "lead hen" and then what order the other birds will come in after that. They may even slow their laying down if they were already giving you eggs. Be patient - they will get over this and peace will return to your coop.

Today is Saturday and al is well in the hen house .I have eighteen nest to lay eggs in and they all like the corner nest. Lucy was waiting her turn this morning letting the others know to hurry and get off the nest. The chicken house was quieter and peaceful this morning , now I know I made the right decision on getting the flock thin. Thanks for all the information to this newcomer.

I don't know what to think! The twelve New Hampshire Reds I gave a friend have not laid a single egg in a month and a half. I can not think of a reason why they are not laying: She' feeding the same food that I did. They were spoil living at my house now they are just chickens but have a nice enclose. I hope they are not sad.!

I don't know what to think! The twelve New Hampshire Reds I gave a friend have not laid a single egg in a month and a half. I can not think of a reason why they are not laying: She' feeding the same food that I did. They were spoil living at my house now they are just chickens but have a nice enclose. I hope they are not sad.!
A drastic change in their surroundings can often mean that they slow down or stop laying for awhile. Then there's also the additional issue of the days getting shorter when egg production naturally drops. In this situation you have a double blow - they are not only readjusting to a new place but also entering the natural period where their bodies are taking a rest from laying. You could even add molting to that because it's the time of year for that too....when they are molting they don't usually lay either. I think you have all three things going on at once. I'll bet it's awkward for you to have given these nice, predictable layers to someone and then have them stop laying. It's kind of like recommending a restaurant to someone and they go there and hate it, even though it was great when you were there! Time and patience. Like you said, "they are just chickens". They are just following the natural order of being chickens.

Thank you Blooie,, you have help me twice . I was worried about them since I raised them from new born,i will pass on the information to my friend. my flock are doing great I now have eighteen .Six Barr, Six Sex Links (red) and six New Hampshire Reds .Here"s to you hope all is well.

Thank you Blooie,, you have help me twice . I was worried about them since I raised them from new born,i will pass on the information to my friend. my flock are doing great I now have eighteen .Six Barr, Six Sex Links (red) and six New Hampshire Reds .Here"s to you hope all is well.
You're very welcome. We are all doing very well and hope that you and yours are too! Thank you.

I recived the most loverly rooster today, he's a Rock Barr and stands up so proud. The girls are acting like love sick ladies lol! . He's sure is fine to look at ,I will put pictures up later .

I have another problem: the rooster that's ten months old wants to chase me when I turn my back in the chicken run. I don't know just what to do? Today I pop him with the feed bucket when he flew at me ; any help appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom