Chicken hygiene?

cooleydooley

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
Ok - I know they just go whenever/wherever they feel the need, getting the poo all off their behind feathers etc. They then must clean themselves up somehow - I don't see them do it but their behinds look clean. I only have 4 RR reds and since I have had them(1 month) there is one that always has a dirty butt - feathers all crappy. The other 3 are always clean. She is also the one who seems to be slowest to grab the treats and the last one out of the hutch in the morning when I open the door. The others all race over to the feeder she does but then quickly seems to lose interest, sits under the hutch often. I do see her eating ( I make sure she gets some treats - but she is so slow in grabbing them the others often steal them from her) and have watched her laying. She looks well otherwise. So what's the scoop on her hygiene?

I'm certainly no expert but it sounds like she may not be well, doesn't sound like just a poor hygiene issue. I would check under the disease/cures forum and see if anyone else has had similar problems. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom