Chicken incubating pigeon eggs?

Wolfy1313

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
Less than 10 minutes ago a friend came to me with two pigeon eggs. She says a lady has been trapping pigeons for the last 5 days and was keeping the cages in the sun with no water and a note saying 'If you want to feed the birds throw food in the cage but don't let them out'. The cages were in near a public creek and not on any privet property, so after 5 days with no water my friend finally let them out. Problem is after the birds took off there were 2 fertile pigeon eggs in the corner of the cage, and without an incubator she figured my chickens would be the next best thing. My question now is my buff orpington is broody and ready for some chicks. I already put them under her and she seemed fine with them so far. Will pigeon eggs hatch under a chicken? To my knowledge the temperature and humidity between the hatching of these birds is pretty much the same, and there are story's with pigeons hatching chicken eggs. Any help and tips? I've only ever hatched chickens, and have little experience with pigeons let alone their chicks.

Last edited:
This could be fun to watch. Hope the orp is not so heavy that she smashes the eggs.
She is the lightest of my chickens and in good health. She is also the most motherly of my chickens so I'm hoping this works out well.

The odds are against you raising a newly hatched squab to adulthood. In a perfect world I think your pigeon eggs will hatch. If you can get past the first five days with some sort of parrot hand feed mixture you might have a chance. Good luck Wolfy1313.

I agree totally with Wildflights you would save yourself grief if you scuttled the eggs.

Last edited:
Less than 10 minutes ago a friend came to me with two pigeon eggs. She says a lady has been trapping pigeons for the last 5 days and was keeping the cages in the sun with no water and a note saying 'If you want to feed the birds throw food in the cage but don't let them out'. The cages were in near a public creek and not on any privet property, so after 5 days with no water my friend finally let them out. Problem is after the birds took off there were 2 fertile pigeon eggs in the corner of the cage, and without an incubator she figured my chickens would be the next best thing. My question now is my buff orpington is broody and ready for some chicks. I already put them under her and she seemed fine with them so far. Will pigeon eggs hatch under a chicken? To my knowledge the temperature and humidity between the hatching of these birds is pretty much the same, and there are story's with pigeons hatching chicken eggs. Any help and tips? I've only ever hatched chickens, and have little experience with pigeons let alone their chicks.

DO NOT HATCH THESE UNDER A CHICKEN!!!! Pigeons feed their chicks by regurgitating food into the chicks mouth. If you hatch these under a chicken, you will end up hand feeding the babies and they will most likely die after you've put in (or not put in) A WHOLE LOT of work and you'll probably get overly attached.

Scuttle the eggs now. Everyone, including the pigeons will be better off.

Last edited:
I don't even know if they will hatch but if they do I will do everything to make sure they have a safe beginning. I have a box, heating pad, red light bulb, thermometer, and a syringe for feeding. I planned on removing them as soon as they hatched and placing them in a heated box in my room. I have a feed store and an avian vet not less then 10 minutes away if I need any bird formula. I'm still going to see if they hatch and if they do go from there. Ive saved baby birds before by putting in a lot of work and time, so I'm completely committed to these eggs IF they hatch. The big question is still are they going to hatch. I know my chances are low but I would rather go on knowing I tried then not knowing if they could have lived. I'm going to call my vet tomorrow for any tips and formula if the baby's hatch.

I don't even know if they will hatch but if they do I will do everything to make sure they have a safe beginning. I have a box, heating pad, red light bulb, thermometer, and a syringe for feeding. I planned on removing them as soon as they hatched and placing them in a heated box in my room. I have a feed store and an avian vet not less then 10 minutes away if I need any bird formula. I'm still going to see if they hatch and if they do go from there. Ive saved baby birds before by putting in a lot of work and time, so I'm completely committed to these eggs IF they hatch. The big question is still are they going to hatch. I know my chances are low but I would rather go on knowing I tried then not knowing if they could have lived. I'm going to call my vet tomorrow for any tips and formula if the baby's hatch.
Bad idea to hatch chicks like this. They will hatch and they will likely die. Poor pigeons!

Last edited:
I personally raised a hatchling on Condensed Carnation milk & baby Rice cereal (thin warm mixture at first and thickening it gradually) for 5 days. Then gradually began replacing the rice with a warm mixture of laying pellets & water (mixed to a pudding consistency on the watery side meat builder would work as well) .

One lived and the other did not make it. The first 5 days are crucial.

This is close to 50 years ago and you sound more informed and better prepared than I was back in the day. I am glad to hear you have experience in this venture because it is a large commitment especially in the beginning but gets a little easier every day.

Good luck (you will need it) Wolf1313 and keep us abreast of what happens regardless.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't mean to be so negative. Most of us that have experience hand feeding babies were put in the position of choosing to hand feed or cull. From now on, I will cull every time.
You on the other hand are going out of your way to create this problem by hatching viable eggs from ferals.

Back
Top Bottom