Chicken Injured by Predator (Graphic Images)

I have still been giving him the antibiotic water (not sure how much he is drinking), and I just put antibiotic ointment on it when I got home. I didnt rinse it with saline this time, but it still has some yellowish looking spots on it.. Do you guys think it looks infected? I did just apply the whitish ointment on the dark scab.. Its taking forever to heal and his crowing will be much better outside..... lol thanks. I will say he is much more determined to get out of his enclosure and walk around the house when I go to look at him lol and his feathers are growing back!
Speaking of feathers, is it possible for their wound to heal onto matted feathers? The wound is healing onto the spot of matted feathers that is right next to it.

Attachments

• 20190110_153409.jpg
    20190110_153409.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190110_153426.jpg
    20190110_153426.jpg
    588.5 KB · Views: 16
If you can cut away the matted feathers I would. Either from the wound or the skin. Or both. I'm sure its pulling when he moves which can't be very comfortable.
The wound itself looks ok to me. Yellow could be bruising. Keep an eye out for heat around the wound and a smell. Those would both be signs of infection.
If you want to try and get him out with the flock you can cover his body with stockinette or a kids tanktop/t-shirt. I use stockinette cause it's fairly cheap and if it gets dirty just throw it out.

I have still been giving him the antibiotic water (not sure how much he is drinking), and I just put antibiotic ointment on it when I got home. I didnt rinse it with saline this time, but it still has some yellowish looking spots on it.. Do you guys think it looks infected? I did just apply the whitish ointment on the dark scab.. Its taking forever to heal and his crowing will be much better outside..... lol thanks. I will say he is much more determined to get out of his enclosure and walk around the house when I go to look at him lol and his feathers are growing back!
Speaking of feathers, is it possible for their wound to heal onto matted feathers? The wound is healing onto the spot of matted feathers that is right next to it.
I think it looks pretty good too.
It's going to take time to heal, that was a deep wound.

It would be good if you can get the feathers out/away from the wound, trim those up if possible. Covering him so he can go outside for visits/get some sunshine would be good, but monitoring that wound everyday is important. It can fester and mold under there if you're not vigilant.

I cut back the feathers... it looks really gnarly... but not as deep anymore. Any suggestions on what to do with the yellow?.. :(

Attachments

• 20190111_162727.jpg
    20190111_162727.jpg
    604.4 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom