Chicken is ALWAYS Broody!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KatieG509, Jun 19, 2019.

1. KatieG509

KatieG509 In the Brooder

Jan 5, 2017
    Westminster, Colorado
    Hello! I’m looking for advice about one of our chickens who is constantly broody. She’s a 3 year old Australorp, and every spring/summer she gets broody all the time. She’ll get broody, we’ll “break” her, and about 3 weeks later she gets broody again, over and over! All last summer (and the year before) we dealt with this cycle. She’s already on her second “round” of broody-ness this spring/summer.

Additionally, she is extremely stubborn. The only thing that works to stop her when she gets broody is to keep her separated from the other chickens in an old wire dog kennel (we let her free range with the other chickens in the afternoon, but don’t let her in the coop at all). We’ve tried everything else- blocking off the nesting boxes, ice in the boxes, dunking her in cold water... none of it works. Separating her is the only thing that works. Once we even just left her to get over it on her own, and it spread to two other chickens!

Does anyone have any advice on how we could keep her from becoming broody? Or, are there other suggestions on how to stop her when she gets broody?

Thanks so much!

chickens really likes this.
  2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Maybe you could trade her for another hen with someone near to you that want's to hatch egg's?

sylviethecochin likes this.
  3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Some hens are chronic broodies. If you really can't take it, you might be able to rehome her to someone that wants a reliable broody hen.

BlueBaby likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    BTDT. Only put up with it one summer, gave her away and she never went broody again.

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Well I have a Silkie that's just like that. Her fourth time being Broody again so I will give her a single duckling once it hatches and let her raise that. She has raised two chicken clutches so far this year.

6. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    We have a BA, broody several times. Gave her chicks 2x. So far, she hasn’t been broody since Feb. I’ve heard that sometimes a chronic broody will not continue to be broody (or as often), once they raise some chicks. But, you’d have to want the chicks (or have someone that wants the chicks ) to do that. Otherwise, give her away/sell her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: