Chicken is sleeping and her red comb is now a grey color.

kccarmea

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2015
Hi I have a 7 month old black australorp that is acting strange. She walks so when she walks. Today she just stood by the waterer with her eyes closed. Even when I touched her or talked she kept her eyes closed. Her usually red comb is grey. She's not gasping like people report for impacted crop. I separated her and gave her food and water. She's just sleeping now. Anyone have any ideas?

Welcome to BYC. How do her droppings look? Has she been wormed? She is a little older to have coccidiosis, but that still can affect any chicken with immunity issues, or if they are exposed to a new strain of coccidia. Coccidiosis symptoms are diarrhea or blood in stools, lethargic and sleepy, standing hunched or puffed up, and no appetite. Corid (amprollium) is the best treament for that. How does her crop feel? Is it full, empty, soft, or firm? Look her skin over for any mites or lice, and their eggs, since mites can cause immunity. I would also check inside her vent with a finger an inch or so for a stuck egg.

Last edited:
In addition to what Eggcessive has shared, a grey comb means she is either not getting enough oxygen in her blood or could be anemic. Some probiotics for her gut and baby vitamins (Polyvisol without iron) would be helpful. Keep her warm, hydrated and offer greens, fruit and her regular feed.

She has diarrhea. I'll give her some probiotics in her water. She hasn't touched any water or food since morning. Just sleeping the entire time. She was sitting now she's standing and sleeping. I can touch her and move her and her eyes remain closed.

Ok im going to check for a stuck egg. what do i do if i feel an egg. And where am I supposed to put my finger. Her butt or is there a different hole. LOL

The oviduct and the rectum are the same orifice.
Use ky jelly or olive oil on your finger to gently enter the opening. If an egg is stuck, you will feel the hard shell about 1 inch inside.
gently push back the egg and apply ky jelly or olive oil around the opening to lubricate the oviduct.
A sitz bath in warm water will sometimes loosen the muscles and allow the hen to relax enough to pass the egg.

You can do a search on egg bound but the gist is as follows....
If she does not pass the egg, you will have to assist her. The shell will need to be broken and pieces gently removed avoiding cutting the tissues. Take your time and make sure all pieces of shell have been removed.

I hope she passes the egg on her own if she is egg-bound.

Keep us posted.

I felt her crop and it's squishy and her breath is foul so that points to sour crop.

Back
Top Bottom