Chicken jail

Wow thanks for this. I really like the way yours are set up. We are going to work on nesting boxes and a brooder/bully pen so these plans will certainly help.
Best nesting box I’ve found works great in these pens is a nice square bucket like a cat litter bucket or a 5 gallon bucket I screwed 2x4s around it to keep it from rolling I prefer the square ones like a cat litter bucket you can cut the lid in half to keep the eggs from rolling out. Milk crates work well too.
308E3822-F816-4D0D-A85F-3764D5106656.jpeg
28639A64-2A36-47D3-9B7F-618FD3CA3C7F.jpeg

You can also use some 2x6’s as the base boards to help weigh it down if the wind is bad in your area. I have some like that also.
Thanks! Lots to work on over here! It helps me to see what other people do. My space is limited in the coop already (4 sq ft per bird with 6 birds) so I am having to make attached nesting boxes. Beside that, I know I need a time out space for broody hens, bully situations, or sick chickens. Appreciate all the info and pictures! Beautiful birds you have!

Thanks
I haven't needed a wire crate type broody breaker (haven't had issue breaking broodies since I break them at first sign of broodiness), so my two options are either my brooder:
View attachment 2229001

Or an exercise pen such as this (mine's smaller, 4 panels, and has a cover for the top as well): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JKJB6C8/ref=twister_B01M216HGZ?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
Thank you. So you break them before they are in full broody mode? What signs do you notice and act on and what do you do to break them of it besides the time out spot?

Thanks! Lots to work on over here! It helps me to see what other people do. My space is limited in the coop already (4 sq ft per bird with 6 birds) so I am having to make attached nesting boxes. Beside that, I know I need a time out space for broody hens, bully situations, or sick chickens. Appreciate all the info and pictures! Beautiful birds you have!
Your welcome I hope it helps the dome pens are just simple and don’t take much space and are cost efficient in my opinion. Hopefully you get it sorted out. Here’s one I recently built with a 2x6 base. Thanks these birds take a lot of my time but there well worth it.
7177C322-FC50-4FA4-A028-C76FD63B840D.jpeg

Thank you. So you break them before they are in full broody mode? What signs do you notice and act on and what do you do to break them of it besides the time out spot?

It's all the same signs as you'd see in a broody (puffing up, tik tik tik chirp, plucked belly), but the bird may not yet be sitting in the nest around the clock. Once they start sitting in the nest for extended periods of time, like a few hours, I begin breaking them at that point. Often get an egg laid in the breaker as well, as they still have eggs in the system at that point since they're not fully broody yet.

I haven't needed to do anything extra other than isolating them in either the brooder or ex pen.

Your welcome I hope it helps the dome pens are just simple and don’t take much space and are cost efficient in my opinion. Hopefully you get it sorted out. Here’s one I recently built with a 2x6 base. Thanks these birds take a lot of my time but there well worth it. View attachment 2229323
Yes they are! How many birds do you have?

Back
Top Bottom