Chicken killers and egg theifs?

jchaletp

In the Brooder
May 4, 2017
Does anyone have any ideas to prevent theft of eggs (seen more) and chicken murders? We live on the outskirts of a large city with a lot of construction and it is pushing all the wild life our way. I love nature but want to keep my chickens safe. I know for sure we have coyotes close we hear them every night. We also have snakes, bobcats, hawks, skunks, and I'm sure other wild life. Plus the free roaming cats and the occasional lose dog. I have .5 acre they roam in and a coop we lock them in at night. What are do you guys do? what do you think about a guardian animal? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Well i think a guardian animal would be a good move.. you might want to look into goats. I have two pygmy weathers but i don't use them to guard my chickens, their pets. My chickens have like a huge cave of wire everywhere to keep them away from predators, with a little house they go into when they feel like it. If you have the right set up, 2-3 goats might be a good thing to look into. If you have anymore questions i'd be happy to answer :)
Sorry about your stolen eggs. We used to have a blacksnake in our property that would steal our eggs until mom reached into a nest one day and it's head rose up. That was it. My dad came out with a large shovel and off went the snake's head....
-I have heard more and more that goats are good at keeping hawks away. Depending on the sizes of predators you have, you might want to go with a larger breed such as Tennessee Fainting Goats.

Last edited:
Since my goats have come to the house, i've not seen a hawk. Now i'm actually really debating why more people don't get goats as guardians. We used to have nearly 20 hawks on our property and see more every year (we can tell cause they'd make huge nests in our trees. Hard to miss) but not seen any near the house like they used to. Haven't had any Coyote or Hawk/Falcon problems since.

The more i think about it, I think you should really look into some Fainting goats..
(Seems like the presence of a goat steers predators away. But if you get them for guardian purpose i'd go for a large breed like Fainties.)
a con would be that you'd have to get at least two goats. Goats are extremely social animals and chickens won't cut it. They need a hoofed friend.

-Again, if you need anymore info or have any questions i'll help all i can :)

Last edited:
I have thought of that but not as a guardian, just for the love. There is just a few things that has held me back, I have very little to my yard. only grass and a few weeds. It is my impression that they are browsers not grazers. The other thing is, is I have siding on my house and I have talked to a few people that say they will eat it.

Yes they would eat it if it wasn't fenced off..
Hmmm, well, if you don't have a lot of weeds that might be a problem... We have about 22 ft by 10ft dedicated to goats... +daily exploring time where they roam our 1 and a half acres..

Maybe i can look into an animal that doesn't need much space and doesn't constantly eat and get back to you
lol.png

(it's true that goats constantly eat. You can tell from my profile pic, my goaties are on the chunky side..
lol.png
)

Last edited:
Alright i did a little reading. I read a little about Miniature Donkeys, One to Two miniature donkeys only need half an acre. You might want to look into them. I don't know a lot about them but i might be able to help a little. They might be better about needing less food, if you set a bail of hay out there (which should only coast $5) they should be good. +of course, some sweet feed grain, and maybe a salt lick, something with minerals in it. They are one of the top flock guardians. Maybe something to look into :)

Last edited:
If you do decide to not go with a guardian, Maybe just build a walk-in-pen. We have a walk-in-pen and keeps everything out except snakes and the occasional possum.
This is a example of something i found off-line you might want to build. It might even inspire you to think of the perfect design for you :)

Does anyone have any ideas to prevent theft of eggs (seen more) and chicken murders? We live on the outskirts of a large city with a lot of construction and it is pushing all the wild life our way. I love nature but want to keep my chickens safe. I know for sure we have coyotes close we hear them every night. We also have snakes, bobcats, hawks, skunks, and I'm sure other wild life. Plus the free roaming cats and the occasional lose dog. I have .5 acre they roam in and a coop we lock them in at night. What are do you guys do? what do you think about a guardian animal? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Well i think a guardian animal would be a good move.. you might want to look into goats. I have two pygmy weathers but i don't use them to guard my chickens, their pets. My chickens have like a huge cave of wire everywhere to keep them away from predators, with a little house they go into when they feel like it. If you have the right set up, 2-3 goats might be a good thing to look into. If you have anymore questions i'd be happy to answer :)
Sorry about your stolen eggs. We used to have a blacksnake in our property that would steal our eggs until mom reached into a nest one day and it's head rose up. That was it. My dad came out with a large shovel and off went the snake's head....
-I have heard more and more that goats are good at keeping hawks away. Depending on the sizes of predators you have, you might want to go with a larger breed such as Tennessee Fainting Goats.

My experience is that goats are wonderful chicken protectors While the "Wild Life" and the occasional loose dog etc. are preoccupied with decimating your goat heard, the chickens will have the opportunity to seek safety in the next county.

Also goats & donkeys will not challenge animals like hawks.

If you have a score or more hawks nesting on your property then it may pay you to purchase a large chainsaw.

The idea of planting thees, shrubs, and bushes to discourage hawks is the same lame idea that Brother Foxx had about tossing Brother Rabbet in that there brier patch

May I remind you that hawks were born in the top of a tall tree and that they feel perfectly at home in the forest.

To recap. In the Fairy Tail about Brother Foxx and his supposedly simpleton side kick Brother Bear, it was the bear who held the answer about what to do with a pest, just knock its block clean off.

Oh, one more predator I forgot about that goats can take on, Dogs. I've got a big ol German shepherd who is terrified of my tiny Pygmy goats
1f602.png

He's usually not the kind of dog to back down easily but if I walk over to pet him and my goats follow me, he runs away faster than I can say Suppadoopae

Back
Top Bottom