Chicken Killing Family Dog

Kirsyson

Hatching
9 Years
May 12, 2010
We have a dog who killed 3 of our bantam sillies (silkies) and one rabbit (that got out of the coop). We have secured him for now on to the front yard and house only, but we have little kids that go in and out of doors all day long. We are always on vigilance duty. It's hard and it gets old. And one day....

So we think about giving dog away - but we can't do it.

I have heard - once a chicken killer always a chicken killer. Is it true or can you train a dog? Any advise really welcome!

Quote:
I was told that once a chicken killer always a chicken killer...
If you cant get rid of the dog then you will have to pen your chicken up in a good pen and run...

Chris....

Once a killer always a killer is dead on from my experience.

We had a neighbors dogs repeatedly come back after the first successful kill. This didn't stop until we told the neighbor if the dogs come back again, we were going to shoot them.

,mike

Please don't take any of this as being mean or harsh... just stating facts:

you either had the dog before the chickens, or you brought the dog home knowing you have chickens - either way you made a commitment to the dog. You didn't mention the circumstances on how he got the silkies? but he can't really be blamed for the bunny - predator / prey.

did the chickens get out of the coop as well? then it is also not the dog's fault. Now, if he broke into the pen that is a whole different set of circumstances.

Otherwise... try to look at where "you" (as the one "with opposable thumbs" ) can make changes to keep your animals safe and still follow through on what you owe your dog by taking him into your home.

I have a "convicted chicken killer", and I have worked with him hours for being around my chicks and "teen" chickens - but I still wouldn't trust him alone with them, or closer to them than I am to him.

Sorry for you losses..... it is hard to lose just one, much less multiples

Last edited:
I have seen shocking collars break some very hard headed hounds from runnin deer.....I cant say whether it is possible to break a dog from chickens but I have seen hounds that you couldnt even get their attention with a switch/club be broke solid with a shocking collar....but you have to be very careful in preparing everything to put the dog in the right situation to be broken from the undesired action....you buy a new tritronics, there is a booklet and cd that explain everything....just an alternative, as I have a couple dogs I Couldnt get rid of regardless....

We have an english setter, a bird dog. When I first got chickens 4 years ago, he did kill one and went after a duck ( we had to give away the ducks) After being severely scolded and tied up for 2 weeks, we let him loose and would only let the chickens out to free range when we were in the yard. constantly scolding him if he got too close or tying him up overnight if he would act like he was going after one - praising him if he ignored them. After they started laying eggs, i would take one out of the coop and give it to him for a treat. Long story short, he no longer is interested in the chickens - even if they go up while he is eating and try to get in his feed. He likes the eggs better than the chickens. I still keep an eye on him, but no longer worry that he will go after one.

i think that with time and patience you can train certain dogs what is to eat and what is not to eat - probably not all dogs tho.

Puresilk is dead on!

Use a shock collar on your dog. I have coondawgs and when they run off game, I shock them. As a result they don't do it anymore. Shock collars are very effective and usually don't take a long time to understand the unwanted behavior.

th.gif

Wow!!! There for a minute, by the title of your post, I thought you had a chicken that was killing your dog!!!!!
lau.gif
gig.gif

Lost in translation.......I'm with ya now...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom