Chicken laid her first egg....then stopped.

I guess worry that her egg color has changed. I didn't think that was even possible, but have read many articles where people swear it's happened. It's been 10 days since she laid an egg. She is penned up so I know I'm not missing it. There are four hens including her. I'm getting three golden eggs every day. So either the other three are laying every day and she's holding out or the olive egg was a weird fluke and some are laying every other day. She's the same age as the other three and they've all been laying consistently for months. So, I think it's weird. When I say worry, it's just that I'm trying to produce olive eggers and with her I thought I had it figured out so I could start incubating eggs that r specifically olive eggers. But she hasn't laid another one since so I'm not 100 percent positive. I won't start incubating eggs from similar matings until I know for sure. So it's just frustrating.

If she's such a poor/inconsistent layer, you might want to think twice about hatching her eggs.
To consistently produce olive egger chicks, it's best to use a pure Ameraucana. Your hen has one blue egg gene and one brown egg gene to produce the green eggs. Her chicks, when crossed back to a brown egg laying breed, will lower the chances of the chicks inheriting that blue egg gene.
A pure Ameraucana crossed with a dark brown egg breed, like a Marans or Welsummer, is how the deep olive green egg layers are produced.

This was her first egg and now ten days later she laid her second and then today her third. I think she just needed to get started.She is three quarters Ameraucana. She is out of an Ameraucana hen(full) and an Ameraucana/barred rock cross. I am not wanting to get chicks from her my plan is to incubate more chicks from my Ameraucana hens and the Ameraucana cross rooster and see if all the chicks I get from those mating are olive eggers. Dabbling a bit to see what happens and I think that's why I was anxious I guess.....more excited anxious.

I Feel your pain! My Rhode Island Red laid her first week around 19 weeks, she laid every third day for total of three eggs. A week and a half later my Ameracauna laid her first egg & has laid 5 in one week. We are beyond excited BUT now my RIR stopped & she hasn't laid an egg since Ameracauna started. Makes me crazy!

Hey I had my 1st egg 4 days ago and anothe today. I have 2 girls I think is laying how can I be sure that they aren't laying somewhere else. They free range during the day. I feel like one has bee laying somewhere for a while and anothe is just starting. I believe the one that just started is the one actually using the beating box. Is that normal for the eggers to be 4 days apart.

Hey everyone! I was here a few months ago and follow the threads regularly. I just don't post that often. I, too, have an easter egger that laid me a beautiful blue egg and hasn't done anything in a few days. She's healthy and happy as I can tell. She went back to the coop to lay it, so I'm dubious that she has another nest anywhere (mine free range). Can they get "backed/stopped up?". I just don't want anything to happen that I could prevent. Such a great egg that we can't eat it just yet.

My salmon faverolle layed a tiny egg at 16-1/2 weeks. That was 2 weeks ago, no more eggs. I know that 16 weeks is extremely early and its January, so I'm not too concerned that she stopped laying forever. I have never had a pullet that layed a first egg and stopped, however.

Back
Top Bottom