Chicken laid lash egg and her crop isn't emptying

So... Either I'm not understanding this, or does it say that the oviduct fills with fluid or 'caseous exudate' so that she can't lay eggs?
That's how I'd read it. It gets inflamed due to an infection which could have multiple underlying causes, and eventually egg production decreases and can stop altogether. Antibiotics can probably treat the E coli and Salmonella, and maybe some of the others (?) but you'd have to look each of those up to be sure. Antibiotics is worth a shot, IMO, just in case it is curable. But any damage to the oviduct may still be present after the infection is cured.

Fluid or ascites may form in the open abdomen from liver involvement of salpingitis and other reproductive conditions and cancer. Here is some reading about salpingitis and caseous exudate (pus:)
https://extension.psu.edu/salpingitis-salpingoperitonitis
So basically once the chicken is laying lash eggs, antibiotics aren't going to help? Am I understanding that right? Because lash egg is caseous exudate extruded from the reproductive tract, which probably didn't all come out?

My hen Ginger was being lethargic and standing on the roost yesterday so I took her off. She pooped a normal-ish poop when I took her out of the coop. I put her in my chicken hospital, a dog cage with some mash and wet-ish layer feed. I heard of a few herbs that are good for chickens and I added garlic in her water, and made her eat some mash with plantain (not the banana, the plant), dandelion, and some thyme. I don't know which antibiotics to do, but she laid a lash egg today but her abdomen isn't swollen because I heard lash eggs are a sign of salpingitis. Does she have salpingitis, and why isn't her crop emptying. It was full in the evening and full this morning too. And she didn't eat or drink anything this morning either. Her waterer and feeders were full. Please help she is such a sweet chicken.

Also, her crop doesn't feel impacted, it feels like dough. She doesn't smell like anything so I'm ruling out sour crop and egg binding since she laid a lash egg.
Hi! Did you have success treating your chicken? If so, what worked? One of my hens is sick with lash egg and is not doing well. It might be too far gone at this point but I'm thinking to give antibiotics a try. Her crop is not emptying either and it feels very doughy. I'd love to hear if you found something that worked!

Hi! Did you have success treating your chicken? If so, what worked? One of my hens is sick with lash egg and is not doing well. It might be too far gone at this point but I'm thinking to give antibiotics a try. Her crop is not emptying either and it feels very doughy. I'd love to hear if you found something that worked!
No, I have not, but I will try ordering amoxicillin. In the meantime I have been giving her small amounts of yarrow, clover, dandelion, and thyme to boost her immune system as well as some garlic water.

She laid some non-formed eggs. It looked like an ovary from a laying hen, some of those tiny still-forming yolks. But only a few of them. And then just some egg whites. I am trying to upload the picture but it doesn't want to. I'll try tomorrow.

She laid some non-formed eggs. It looked like an ovary from a laying hen, some of those tiny still-forming yolks. But only a few of them. And then just some egg whites. I am trying to upload the picture but it doesn't want to. I'll try tomorrow.
sorry I've been away, but wanted to tell you: The amoxicillin arrived last Sunday, and I treated her all of last week with it... Turns out Saturday she laid an egg!! :D I'm so happy thank you all for helping! She's now with her fellow hens in the coop and is getting along nicely. Thank you so much for helping Ginger.

sorry I've been away, but wanted to tell you: The amoxicillin arrived last Sunday, and I treated her all of last week with it... Turns out Saturday she laid an egg!! :D I'm so happy thank you all for helping! She's now with her fellow hens in the coop and is getting along nicely. Thank you so much for helping Ginger.
And btw the egg wasn't a lash egg 😊

Back
Top Bottom