Chicken laid lash egg and her crop isn't emptying

LhickenChicken

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jan 5, 2023
Rimbey, Alberta, Canada
My hen Ginger was being lethargic and standing on the roost yesterday so I took her off. She pooped a normal-ish poop when I took her out of the coop. I put her in my chicken hospital, a dog cage with some mash and wet-ish layer feed. I heard of a few herbs that are good for chickens and I added garlic in her water, and made her eat some mash with plantain (not the banana, the plant), dandelion, and some thyme. I don't know which antibiotics to do, but she laid a lash egg today but her abdomen isn't swollen because I heard lash eggs are a sign of salpingitis. Does she have salpingitis, and why isn't her crop emptying. It was full in the evening and full this morning too. And she didn't eat or drink anything this morning either. Her waterer and feeders were full. Please help she is such a sweet chicken.

Also, her crop doesn't feel impacted, it feels like dough. She doesn't smell like anything so I'm ruling out sour crop and egg binding since she laid a lash egg.

Sounds like she at least has salpingitis to me. The crop may be a symptom of that, I'm not certain. If you search this site and Forum for "salpingitis" or "antibiotics for salpingitis" you will find relevant information.

So sorry you're going through this. The outcome with salpingitis, after they're so far gone they've laid a lash egg, is generally not very good. But it's still possible the antibiotics will help her recover.

After you do research on here, if you're able to take her to a knowledgeable avian vet or livestock vet who sees chickens, that should help.

Sounds like she at least has salpingitis to me. The crop may be a symptom of that, I'm not certain. If you search this site and Forum for "salpingitis" or "antibiotics for salpingitis" you will find relevant information.

So sorry you're going through this. The outcome with salpingitis, after they're so far gone they've laid a lash egg, is generally not very good. But it's still possible the antibiotics will help her recover.

After you do research on here, if you're able to take her to a knowledgeable avian vet or livestock vet who sees chickens, that should help.
the problem is that I called my vet that neutered my cats and I said, "I'd like to have an appointment for my chicken--" and the vet hung up on me. I gave her a straw berry today and she ate it and an hour later I checked her crop-- it was one quarter full. So I'm not sure what is going on with her crop. She is a little over one year old, if that helps. She seems attracted to sweet things, she'll eat the wild raspberries and strawberries. She really likes them. She ate some of the mash I made her, which is good progress I assume. also ate another strawberry :) but I'm concerned about the salpingitis. After I do research I'll go on here and tell you what I've found.

the problem is that I called my vet that neutered my cats and I said, "I'd like to have an appointment for my chicken--" and the vet hung up on me. I gave her a straw berry today and she ate it and an hour later I checked her crop-- it was one quarter full. So I'm not sure what is going on with her crop. She is a little over one year old, if that helps. She seems attracted to sweet things, she'll eat the wild raspberries and strawberries. She really likes them. She ate some of the mash I made her, which is good progress I assume. also ate another strawberry :) but I'm concerned about the salpingitis. After I do research I'll go on here and tell you what I've found.
You need to get antibiotics into her ASAP, but I don't know the details to tell you. I know it's on this site though because I've seen it discussed. It's a very serious infection, and many birds don't make it through. @Eggcessive may know, I'll tag her.

What a winner of a vet you have. I called at least 10 vets in my urban/suburban area and asked them for a referral for a vet who would see/treat chickens. Even if they don't treat chickens, they should never just hang up!!! Sorry you got treated like that!

Turned out there's only one vet in the whole northern part of my state that anyone knew about that would treat chickens, and he's actually across the state line in Tennessee. A bit of a road trip, and he doesn't usually treat chickens, mainly other livestock, but at least he's willing to try, and runs fecal floats for me regularly.

Good luck!

You need to get antibiotics into her ASAP, but I don't know the details to tell you. I know it's on this site though because I've seen it discussed. It's a very serious infection, and many birds don't make it through. @Eggcessive may know, I'll tag her.

What a winner of a vet you have. I called at least 10 vets in my urban/suburban area and asked them for a referral for a vet who would see/treat chickens. Even if they don't treat chickens, they should never just hang up!!! Sorry you got treated like that!

Turned out there's only one vet in the whole northern part of my state that anyone knew about that would treat chickens, and he's actually across the state line in Tennessee. A bit of a road trip, and he doesn't usually treat chickens, mainly other livestock, but at least he's willing to try, and runs fecal floats for me regularly.

Good luck!
It seems amoxicillin is the most popular antibiotic. Will antibiotics only extend her life, or will she get better completely? Or do I have to cull her? I hope not...

Pic of how to syringe a chicken. You can do it wrong and they can aspirate and die. It's not hard to do, but you do need to do a little research first. There's also youtube videos about it and an Article I couldn't find, but this pic will get you started. I found it easy once I did a bit of learning. Wrap them in a bath towel, have a helper hold the chicken, pull down on wattles to open their mouth, and syringe the liquid in a bit at a time so it can dribble down the back of their throat, and they can swallow it. As soon as you introduce liquid, let go of the wattles immediately so they can swallow

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...gg-rupture-pics-inluded.1577389/post-26798424

If you dose with pills, just pop it in the chickens' mouth, they should swallow it right down whole.

Instead of syringing meds into my chickens, last time I soaked dewormer up into a small piece of bread with a drizzle of honey on top. The trick there is getting the proper chicken to eat the bread and them getting the entire dose. Still had to pop it in the mouth with one chicken - she wasn't having it.

It seems amoxicillin is the most popular antibiotic. Will antibiotics only extend her life, or will she get better completely? Or do I have to cull her? I hope not...
My understanding is that the lash egg is symptom of an infection. Antibiotics may cure the infection. But once they come down with it, and get better, the infection may reoccur later. I don't totally know, the MERCK vet manual will know. Bear in mind, this manual is written for commercial chickens and keepers, not backyard flocks.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/disorders-of-the-reproductive-system/salpingitis-in-poultry

My understanding is that the lash egg is symptom of an infection. Antibiotics may cure the infection. But once they come down with it, and get better, the infection may reoccur later. I don't totally know, the MERCK vet manual will know. Bear in mind, this manual is written for commercial chickens and keepers, not backyard flocks.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/disorders-of-the-reproductive-system/salpingitis-in-poultry
So... Either I'm not understanding this, or does it say that the oviduct fills with fluid or 'caseous exudate' so that she can't lay eggs?

Back
Top Bottom