chicken language and sexing chicks

dustponds10

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Rigby, Id
Ok I am wondering what all the chicken hatching talk is. Could some one please inform me about what all the pips, zips and what not are? Also how is it that everyone can sex their chicks right off the bat right after hatching? I am pretty new to this whole chicken game.

Pip = When the egg has a hole in it.
Zip = When the egg has a crack around it and it is fixing to hatch.
Most people can't sex them when they hatch. ( Unless they're Sex Links. ) Most hatchery's vent sex the chicks. Hope this answers some of your questions.
smile.png

Um, you can start to sex them at around 3 to 4 months old. But you can probably sex some at around a month. Just depends on the breeds. What breeds do you have? You can look for bigger redder combs for the males, and for smaller yellower combs for the females.
Their tails are different too. Roosters will have bigger feet, and hens will have smaller shorter feet if I'm correct.
smile.png
Maybe the other way around?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I've read and seen videos on sexing chicks by their wing feathers on day 1 or 2. Most people can't sex them based on vents. I don't know if the feather thing works. My current four chicks had "textbook" female wings but only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom