Chicken Laws in Upland, CA?

i know this thread is old, but if you are from upland, hopefully, you can help me change the law.

I will write to the council members:

www.ci.upland.ca.us/#Mayor_&_Council_Members

Mayor Debbie Stone
Term of Office 2016-2020
[email protected]

Mayor Pro Tem Janice Elliott
District 2
Term of Office 2018-2022
[email protected] or by phone at (909) 477-7827.

Councilmember Ricky Felix
District 3
Term of Office 2018-2022

Councilmember Rudy Zuniga
District 4
Term of Office 2018-2022

Councilmember Bill Velto
At Large
Term of Office 2019-2020

There is some information on the Mayor and the Mayor Pro Tem; both seem to be inclined to better quality of life. However, they are politicians.

As I said, I will write to them, but for this to work we need numbers, presence, and good information to educate.

If you are in upland send me a message and lets get the ball rolling!!!

Hi Guys,

We are looking at moving to Upland but raising chickens important to us. We're looking at a property which is larger than 1/2 an acre. Has there been any updates since January? Anyone know about goats? There's really no info on either and info here is a bit conflicted.

Hi,
Our family is in the process of building a chicken house in back and we live in Upland. We have wanted to do this for a long time and have many friends in surrounding cities that have theirs
set up.
We have not called the city, but after looking online, I could not find a definitive statement
not allowing chickens as house pets. So....... we are going for it.
We have a large garden and having our own eggs is the next step. :)
What part of Upland do you live in.?
I live close to the Upland City Hall. I too have been researching cannot find a clear answer. So I am also going to start to build my chicken coop. No rooster, just six hens. Good luck to both of us.

Hi Trishamil, How is it going with your chickens?

I live in Upland as well and I am planning to get a few for my kids this spring and have some concerns (same as everyone else):
1. City law (is it allowed? Do I need to vaccinate periodically?),
2. noise level (no rooster),
3. zoning requirements (can I place coop at the end of property line?, Do I need to register animal?)

I called the city, but no one knows anything.... (lol).
I called the police department, they send me to animal control.
I called animal control twice, but they don't return call.....

I also found the zoning code saying "Up to five chickens are permitted in single-family residential zones." But that is vague and incomplete.....

Has anyone had any problems with neighbors or city? any advice?
I LOVE my chickens, and I've never had any issues with any of my neighbors. My coop and run are in the back corner of my property which is also the back corners of my 3 adjacent neighbors. We do live on approx 12K sq lot. I now have 4 girls, no rooster. I'd like to get a couple more. Even though I've never had an issue, I am still very motivated to change the city law...if in fact they are not allowed. I have seen on my Google search too regarding "Animal keeping" that up to 5 hens are allowed, but I can only find that in "Definitions". I'm super motived to see what I can do. I'm going into city hall tomorrow to see what I can find out.

Hi! I've been doing some research on chicken laws where I live, and was dismayed to find that according to http://www.qcode.us/codes/upland/ I can't keep chickens in a "SFR SINGLE-FAMILY RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT", but agricultural zones are fine. Does anyone know of a way I can get around this? I have a fairly large backyard, but it's not 20,000 sq ft, so it can hardly count as agricultural.

Edit: Oh, I found most of the information in titles 17 and 18.

Hi,

I've been keeping chickens in Upland Ca 91784 (SOCAL) for a couple of years now. I found the following in the definition section of Upland codes (17.51.010 Definitions):

Animal-Keeping, Non-Commercial“Animal-Keeping, Non-Commercial” means any establishment that keeps animals only as pets, or for the production of eggs, milk, honey or meat for personal use only. Up to five chickens are permitted in single-family residential zones.

I called city hall and wrote them an email, and got a call from Janice Elliott, member of the City Council, who reaffirmed that I could keep chickens as long as I use common sense. She also mentioned that roosters would not be ok (which I sadly agree given that this is a residential area). I sent a letter to all immediate neighbors letting know that I would get some chicken. I shared some eggs with each of them. Chicken noise is no more than dogs barking occasionally. I do have a neighbor from 3 house down the street that hears them sometimes and comes with her grandkids to see them and pet them. Also, the chickens were noisier on the first year. Overall no issues.

What part of Upland do you live in.?
I live close to the Upland City Hall. I too have been researching cannot find a clear answer. So I am also going to start to build my chicken coop. No rooster, just six hens. Good luck to both of us.
Hi guys,

I live in Upland CA as well.
I built mine a couple years ago and got some chickens.

I found the following in the definition section of Upland codes (17.51.010 Definitions):

Animal-Keeping, Non-Commercial“Animal-Keeping, Non-Commercial” means any establishment that keeps animals only as pets, or for the production of eggs, milk, honey or meat for personal use only. Up to five chickens are permitted in single-family residential zones.

Also, Council member let me know it is ok as long as I use common sense, meaning being respectful with neighbors.

I LOVE my chickens, and I've never had any issues with any of my neighbors. My coop and run are in the back corner of my property which is also the back corners of my 3 adjacent neighbors. We do live on approx 12K sq lot. I now have 4 girls, no rooster. I'd like to get a couple more. Even though I've never had an issue, I am still very motivated to change the city law...if in fact they are not allowed. I have seen on my Google search too regarding "Animal keeping" that up to 5 hens are allowed, but I can only find that in "Definitions". I'm super motived to see what I can do. I'm going into city hall tomorrow to see what I can find out.
Hi Trishamil,

Thanks for your encouraging words,
We went ahead and built a coop back then, and got chickens soon after. We have had no problems.
Chickens are quite most of the day, but they have their moments when they like to talk (loudly).
Back then a Council member called me back and told me it was ok to have chickens, that gave me confidence to go for it and have not regrated it (except the day they got on my strawberries and kinda made a mess....). Kids love them, and my wife is happy with the eggs!

Hi Guys,

We are looking at moving to Upland but raising chickens important to us. We're looking at a property which is larger than 1/2 an acre. Has there been any updates since January? Anyone know about goats? There's really no info on either and info here is a bit conflicted.
Hi Dominic,
We live in Upland, have chickens, no issues.
Don't know about goat.... but let me know, I'm curious now.

We do want to get bees.... :)

Back
Top Bottom