Chicken laying eggs and yellow discharge

I have a chicken that has been hanging by her self the last couple of days. Twice now she has just laid an egg in the field while she was walking around. Tonight about 15 minutes after she laid the egg randomly she laid what looked like a soft egg and had a lot of bright yellow thick liquid come out with it. I am new with chickens and have not experienced anything like this. I attached a picture of the chicken with the soft egg looking thing and yellow stuff with it. Does anyone have any idea what is going on with her?View attachment 1738581

Hey, did you come up with a solution? My isa brown is doing the same thing every couple weeks. I thought it was calcium but now I’m not so sure. She starts getting bloated and then when she finally lays it will be a soft egg(whole) with yellow liquid covering it. She’s my best layer some days she lays twice other days when she’s struggling she’ll come to me and lays while I watch. I’ve seen a lot of people say that the yellow liquid is egg yolk, that might be the case sometimes. This does not look like yolk, more like a yellow liquid shell covering the sack. I could be very wrong but all I know is that extra calcium didn’t help.

Hey, did you come up with a solution? My isa brown is doing the same thing every couple weeks. I thought it was calcium but now I’m not so sure. She starts getting bloated and then when she finally lays it will be a soft egg(whole) with yellow liquid covering it. She’s my best layer some days she lays twice other days when she’s struggling she’ll come to me and lays while I watch. I’ve seen a lot of people say that the yellow liquid is egg yolk, that might be the case sometimes. This does not look like yolk, more like a yellow liquid shell covering the sack. I could be very wrong but all I know is that extra calcium didn’t help.
Could you post some pictures? How old is she? She could have something wrong in her oviduct with her shell gland, or an infection. If she might have had a mild infection with infectious bronchitis virus in the past, that can affect egg shells. Make sure that she is getting a balanced diet with vitamin D3 , calcium, and other minerals.

Could you post some pictures? How old is she? She could have something wrong in her oviduct with her shell gland, or an infection. If she might have had a mild infection with infectious bronchitis virus in the past, that can affect egg shells. Make sure that she is getting a balanced diet with vitamin D3 , calcium, and other minerals.

This morning she layed her egg in my yard. It had a shell but she’s barely moved. She’s swollen and I can’t get to her vent today. I had a problem with calcium in her diet when I first got her so I changed it to include extra calcium and protein. She free ranges my yard and has been fine doing so. There aren’t any vets I can take her to until the weekend is over. Before I wrote this I put some ACV in 4 litres of water she’s been drinking it and is starting to get up and move. Is there anything else I can do for her? Also does this sound like the beginning of vent gleet?

Attachments

• 7EC0D9FD-BE10-4D3C-8F8B-A7A04E40864E.jpeg
    7EC0D9FD-BE10-4D3C-8F8B-A7A04E40864E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 6B1CF620-1F58-4713-AD7E-3C6D443CBB09.jpeg
    6B1CF620-1F58-4713-AD7E-3C6D443CBB09.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
One more photo after the ACV water.
She doesn’t look 100% but she’s standing on her own! I’m feeling a little hopeful

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    872.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    879 KB · Views: 5
Her tail down position in post 15 versus the tail up position in post 16 is quite an improvement. I wonder if she is experiencing a reproductive issue. After laying the egg, she seemed to feel a lot better. Usually hens do not lay 2 eggs in one day unless they have had something slow down the first egg.

Her tail down position in post 15 versus the tail up position in post 16 is quite an improvement. I wonder if she is experiencing a reproductive issue. After laying the egg, she seemed to feel a lot better. Usually hens do not lay 2 eggs in one day unless they have had something slow down the first egg.

Now she’s up and about acting normal but still quite puffed up. I’m starting to wonder if it is a reproductive issue. This happens quite often, I don’t work so I spend a lot of my time with them; if she was getting sick I feel like I would know the cause after being out there from 6-8:30 everyday but I don’t want to rule that out because at the end of the day I’m not a chook I don’t know what she feels. The first time I took her straight to the vet and they gave me calcium syrup to give her. It obviously didn’t help her but has worked with my other hen. I’ve tried removing access to muddy areas and closed off my compost incase it was something toxic. If this is a reproductive issue will this always cause her problems? I’ll have to do more research

P.S sorry for the poor format very on guard at the moment, condition could change. I am going to bath her in Epsom salt to try give her some relief

Back
Top Bottom