Chicken laying eggs ?

ESofVA

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2012
Keller, VA
My Silkie started laying and then sitting on eggs and I kept taking them away to eat. I found a Silkie egg in another nestbox and felt so sorry for her sitting on nothing that I put that egg under her two days ago. This morning I was surprised to find she now has 2 eggs. No Silkie eggs in other nest boxes since that last one. I am wondering if it is possible that she could have started laying again? There were several days where she had quit laying but she never quit sitting.

My Silkie started laying and then sitting on eggs and I kept taking them away to eat. I found a Silkie egg in another nestbox and felt so sorry for her sitting on nothing that I put that egg under her two days ago. This morning I was surprised to find she now has 2 eggs. No Silkie eggs in other nest boxes since that last one. I am wondering if it is possible that she could have started laying again? There were several days where she had quit laying but she never quit sitting.
Could another hen not have layed in the box shes in?

That is a possibility but I haven't seen another Silkie in it and I check for reg chicken eggs several times a day so they don't freeze. Today she has 3.

That is a possibility but I haven't seen another silkie in it and I check for reg chicken eggs several times a day so they don't freeze. Today she has 3.
My hens used to sit on the side of the box and lay eggs in to the broodies box.

My hens used to sit on the side of the box and lay eggs in to the broodies box.
WOW!! Haha!! I have now fixed 2 nest boxes that are completely separate from the coop. I am hoping they will lay there. So far no one has gotten in but that was just yesterday. No more laying by my Silkies and she finally quit brooding after the eggs got kicked out and very cold after having been sat on for several days. I cracked the eggs and although they were fertile, they were not growing. Of course I threw them away. She sat several more days on the empty nest and finally gave up.

Back
Top Bottom