Chicken laying soft eggs and now has bloody butt - help!!

e&gmom

Hatching
8 Years
May 22, 2011
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Americana, don't know age - maybe 2 yrs, don't know weight - she won't let us catch her, but she looks like she always has, no gain, no loss.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She and my Buff that is 2 have been laying soft shelled eggs for about 3 weeks now. I have given them calcium in form of oyster shells from the feed store. They also get scratch and lay pellets. We give them fresh veggie and fruit scraps on occasion.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
About 3 weeks except for the blood I noticed in the coop and on her butt today.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
My Buff is laying soft eggs, but no blood. I also have what we think is an Austrolorp and a Plymouth Barred. They are not laying at all, and have really dirty rear-ends, but no blood.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
See above please.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing that I know of.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Scratch, lay pellets, oyster shells, drinking normal as far as I can tell.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Between the 4 chickens most poop looks normal although there are some poops that are runny. I have not seen any blood in the poop yet.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing, because I have no idea what to do.
sad.png

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I think we can treat by ourselves if we know what to do.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Hens live in an A-frame coop with bermuda grass hay for bedding.

Thinking what I'd do... Isolate her in case she's being vent-picked... Check for prolapse... Put her somewhere dark to stop laying... If the other birds have dirty pants I would worm them all, including this girl. Watch her for signs of infection (listlessness, discharge from vent, smell) and if that happens, consider antibiotics or other options.

Just as a background observation, you may want to consider overall protein amounts in the feed. Low protein can lead to increased susceptibility to worms, lower nutrient absorption (including calcium) and softer eggshells... Then again there are plenty of other causes of soft shelled eggs... Just something to think about.

regards
Erica

Finally caught this chicken today and got a good look at her. It does look like she has prolapsed and she is very stinky, poopy and bloody. I am not sure she will be alive in the morning. Calling local vet in the morning as well, if she is still with us.

Thanks for the information
smile.png
. I am pretty new at this sick chicken thing - what do I give them to increase the protein in their diets?

Too much protein can bring its own set of problems. I give mine higher protein feed only during molt and directly after worming, but only for a few days. It's best to feed them regular layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom