Chicken laying soft shelled egg

timelord1020

Songster
May 2, 2017
Fort Pierce Florida
Not sure which of my girls are laying these eggs but the is the second soft shelled egg I've got in 2 weeks. The one I got today had a semi hard shell but was very brittle and had blood on it. Is this a normal thing?
20180305_144229.jpg

It isn't normal but not uncommon.
How old are your birds? How long have they been laying in this cycle?
What are they being fed and how? Protein%, calcium% of feed, % of intake made up of treats, scratch, etc.? Is oyster shell being offered in a separate container?
They are 1 year old give or take a few months and they are being fed DuMor 16% layer feed. I had oyster shells in there but they weren't touching them the also get Panama berries and other treats from the garden.

My girls only laid softshells when they were young layers (along with double yolked eggs)-they were still trying to get their cycle regulated at the time, but then they started laying consistently and the soft shells went away. I've read that these can be stress related. Maybe it can be weather related, but I cannot confirm that. Ive also read that some hens just tend to lay softshells more frequently than others. Can be diet related, too like Chicken Canoe mentioned. Hope someone else has some helpful advice, good luck!:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

It is not un normal but not amazing. I would start by giving them calcium it helped a lot with my chickens soft eggs and I even got an egg with out a shell.

When you say, "I had oyster shells in there", do you mean you were mixing the oyster shell with the feed?
As was said, it can sometimes happen with new layers. It isn't always a matter of more calcium in the diet. An imbalance of calcium to phosphorus or deficiency of D3 can cause soft shells as could a respiratory illness.

When you say, "I had oyster shells in there", do you mean you were mixing the oyster shell with the feed?
As was said, it can sometimes happen with new layers. It isn't always a matter of more calcium in the diet. An imbalance of calcium to phosphorus or deficiency of D3 can cause soft shells as could a respiratory illness.
No it was in a seperate food pan

Not sure which of my girls are laying these eggs but the is the second soft shelled egg I've got in 2 weeks. The one I got today had a semi hard shell but was very brittle and had blood on it. Is this a normal thing?
View attachment 1284785
I would make sure they are getting enough calcium. I have a medium size metal garbage can that I fill about a foot of food then add a layer of oyster shell mix it well then add another foot of food with another topping of oyster shell and mix well. I keep doing this until my bag of food is all gone. I have never had a problem with too hard or too soft eggs. Unless you see a pile of oyster shell pushed to the side then they are eating it, try adding a little more to their food or treats. Don't add too much or they will be too hard. If this doesn't work then it might be medical. Good luck.

I would make sure they are getting enough calcium. I have a medium size metal garbage can that I fill about a foot of food then add a layer of oyster shell mix it well then add another foot of food with another topping of oyster shell and mix well. I keep doing this until my bag of food is all gone. I have never had a problem with too hard or too soft eggs. Unless you see a pile of oyster shell pushed to the side then they are eating it, try adding a little more to their food or treats. Don't add too much or they will be too hard. If this doesn't work then it might be medical. Good luck.
You are adding that much oyster shell to what type of feed? I hope it isn't layer feed that you are mixing the OS with.
The problem with overdosing calcium is the shells being too hard. The problem is the damage it could be doing to the kidneys.

Back
Top Bottom