Chicken lays soft shell eggs and they eat it together

Stop adding vinegar, it messes with calcium uptake. Raw apple cider vinegar can be offered as a probiotic occasionally in a separate waterer, but should never be added continuously to the only available water source.
Thanks I have changed that now and will give my raw apple cider vinegar separately

Last edited:
Last edited:
And I would cull her if this does not improve. If they have learned to break them, on those rocks, they would be moved... but I think that I would not want this in my flock.

A lot depends on how much vinegar in the water - but I would just use fresh clean water, and some oyster shell to try first. And if that does not work, I would cull both of them.

Mrs K
Thank you - I only have them two and the other chook lays beautifully with no issues, so culling is a very last resort

That feed has plenty of calcium(4% min), no need for the liquid supplement.
That grit is too fine for a full sized chicken, it's formulated for small pet birds(parakeets, etc).
I also have the larger grit which I thought is only useful to the chicken as a digestive assistant?

Why give apple cider vinegar, at all?
Well I’m just baffled, if it’s a myth, why is it promoted on so many articles. Including on this site: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...atural-ways-to-keep-your-flock-healthy.67126/

I don’t care either way - I’m just surprised! I’m no expert but I try to apply the best advice I find, and I’ve always heard about the wonders of vinegar. I feel terrible that it could be bad advice I’ve been applying all these years. If it’s bad advice it needs to come down.

I also have the larger grit which I thought is only useful to the chicken as a digestive assistant?
Granite grit is for digestion,it works in the gizzard.
Oyster shell grit is for calcium supplement.

Well I’m just baffled, if it’s a myth, why is it promoted on so many articles.
That's how myths are propagated.

Back
Top Bottom