Chicken leaning head back

fergyc2l2t316

Songster
7 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
One of my hens has been leaning her head back onto her back and acts like she has something caught in her throat. I can’t find anything on this but there is something wrong with her. Can anyone help me here please? She has been doing this on and off for a week or so. At first she was acting like she was having a hard time dealing/choking and it then stopped. Now she puts her head back on her back and her beak in the air like stargazing with goats. I’m lost here. Help!!

Attachments

• A1D3B742-B168-4228-9FBC-956DFF9D3A65.jpeg
    A1D3B742-B168-4228-9FBC-956DFF9D3A65.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 39
I would also add a 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex for thiamine (B1) which sometimes is a cause of wry neck. Selenium is found in a little cooked egg yolk. Wry neck, star gazing, torticolis, is just a symptom. Sometimes it may be hereditary, but it can be a sign of head injury, vitamin deficiency, and is seen in some diseases including Mareks and some respiratory diseases. Make sure that she is getting fluids, and you can mix up some mushy wet chicken feed with scrambled egg, and feed her several times day from a little cup or lid up to her beak.

I would also add a 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex for thiamine (B1) which sometimes is a cause of wry neck. Selenium is found in a little cooked egg yolk. Wry neck, star gazing, torticolis, is just a symptom. Sometimes it may be hereditary, but it can be a sign of head injury, vitamin deficiency, and is seen in some diseases including Mareks and some respiratory diseases. Make sure that she is getting fluids, and you can mix up some mushy wet chicken feed with scrambled egg, and feed her several times day from a little cup or lid up to her beak.
Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom