Chicken lethargic and has a hard time breathing

ShimmersMom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
We lost two chickens already and the third one has started to become really lethargic. Sitting down a lot. She also stopped laying. All chickens are about 7 months old.

We took her to the vet as I thought she might have been egg bound. He says it's a virus and there is nothing he can do. So you guys are my only hope. The vet says the whole flock will die (we have 4 more, three of them 3 months old). He says there might be something in the soil. (They are fee ranging).

We will separate her but I am not ready to watch her die. Do you have any recommendations?

She is eating but not much. She is drinking water. I would like to do something before she becomes too sick. She seems to have a hard time breathing since yesterday.

No sour or impacted crop.

Do she have any rattles when she breathes, coughing, sneezing, watery eyes or bubbles, nasal drainage, or swelling around an eye or the face? Does she gape or open her mouth to breathe? What did the vet say it was? Coccidiosis is very common in flock of various ages, and comes from the soil. Symptoms are lethargy, poor appetite, puffing up or huddling, ruffled feathers, and diarrhea, sometimes with blood, sometimes not. Treatment for cocci is amprollium or Corid for 5 days in the water. Respiratory diseases can be viruses, bacterial, or from mold in wet conditions. Here is a link to read about them: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044 and one on cocci: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Last edited:
Hi, no wheezing, coughing or discharge. Just open beak while breathing.
She eats a little bit when you put something in front of her. I gave her some scrambled eggs, melon spiked with grains and she ate, but she doesn't get up a lot.
Poop is yellow runny and stuck to her butt.
Her comb is all droopy. She closes her eyes a lot.

I will read up on the Coccidiosis.

Doctor just told us we shouldn't have gotten any new chickens, and all of them will die. Freaked out the kids, and to be honest, me, too.

How is the ventilation in your coop? Do they go outside in the daytime to range in the yard? Runny yellow poop can be a sign of cocci, but if it is bright yellow it could also be a sign of E.coli infection. I would treat with Corid, and if Corid or Ampromed is not available, use Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet. You need to start it today. Did the vet mention the name of the disease he thought they had?

He didn't mention the disease, he wanted to euthanize her.
Coop is well ventilated and they roam outside.

Where can I get this medication today?

Also, maybe as an additional information, the other two chickens were sick a month ago. So, it's not a fast spreading virus, but it's somewhere, lingering.

Corid or Ampromed is available at most farm stores in the cattle medicines section. So are the sulfa meds.

GetThumbnail.aspx

corid%2016oz%20bottle%20hero%20lr.jpeg
347_1.jpg
sulfadimethoxine_main.jpg

Last edited:
My husband is on his way to get the Corid. I so hope it will work.
Thank you for your input!

Just wanted to give you an update.
She was looking better in the afternoon, ate a good portion of tuna, some melon, little grains.
This morning, after a night inside the house in an unfamiliar environment, she is lethargic again, not eating or drinking. Her poop looks yellow, soft to runny and has some green stuff inside, more pale yellow to almost white.
She is lying down right now. How can I make her eat and drink? I scrambled an egg but she didn't touch it.

Her friend didn't eat either, do chickens miss each other? We have the little ones separated for now.

I was able to give her some water with Corid in a syringe. Now she is lying down again, as if to lay an egg. Eyes closed.
Sill not eating.

Back
Top Bottom