Chicken lethargic and has a hard time breathing

I would concentrate on getting the Corid water in them mostly. If it is cocci, the gut is very painful and not working well--that is why they stop eating. When the Corid starts working, hopefully you should see some improvement. Can you call your vet and ask the clerk if there was a diagnosis on the chart? If the vet thought she had air sacculitis, there could be an E.coli infection which can cause bright yellow or yellow-green stools. Hopefully you are just dealing with cocci which is bad enough.

The vet didn't diagnose anything. He said it's probably a virus.

Here is the picture of the poop:

He checked for a stuck egg as that was what we were suspecting. But he did not find anything.

He did not suggest to worm her. We have some stuff that we added to their feed when the first one was sick but that turned out to be not worms, so we stopped applying the additive.
At this point, because she is not eating anything, I am really at a loss what to do.

If she losing weight she needs to be tube fed. Tubing won't cure her, but it will possibly buy more time so you can figure out what's wrong with her. If she were mine I would tube fluids, then fluids mixed with baby bird food and I'd also worm her with Safeguard. Tubing her would allow you to get the proper amoubt of Corid water into her.

-Kathy

You could also call the vet back and ask him what he think about treating her with Baytril and metronidazole.

-Kathy

I wanted to give you an update. 5 days later and we still haven't seen much improvement. We also haven't seen her condition deteriorating though.
We have been trying to make her drink and she takes a few sips here and there. We use a syringe to get some baby bird food into her and that seems to keep her going.

We'll see another vet today. We were hesitant because the first one said she is for sure going to die but she is a tough cookie and we think she deserves another look from a different person.

Thank you all for your help and support.

I wonder if your first vet suspected Mareks disease? Did he ever say that? That could be why he was so pessimistic and wanted to euthanize her. Is she standing or walking at all? Pleas let us know what this vet says.

Last edited:
Unfortunately he just said it was a virus without specifying any disease or treatment.

She is walking a little, standing up, walking, sitting down. Mostly sitting down. I move the food from one place to another, whereever she is sitting so she can be close just in case.
So, no limbs are paralyzed it seems.

Back
Top Bottom