Chicken Limping.....Im such a Idiot.. :(

CarolinaASTchic

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
North Carolina
Not sure what to do for her... :( I had our Six 8 week old pullets out in our back yard free ranging as I have done every morning and had something happen inside and NOT THINKING AT ALL...let two of our dogs out back...Realized after the dogs did that the chickens were out...By the time I was able to get them back inside I had one deceased Buff Orp (Of Course My Favorite Girl!) and only 2 red girls to be seen. I searched and found my other 3 girls hidden in the Ivy and with one under our shed. They were so quiet when I found them I was able to pick them up without any struggle or complaints from any. I checked everyone over and besides missing some feathers couldnt find any open wounds or scratches or blood on any of them. Even the deceased girl was free of any blemishes...Im guessing the dog broke her neck? When I set them all back in their coop I noticed one of my other buff orps limping on one of her legs. Again I just rechecked and cant find any bite wounds...not sure if she twisted or sprained it? I dont think its broke as she will USE it and has movement in the foot...just a bad pronounced limp. I now Only have 5 young chickens in a pretty large coop (We converted the back 1/3 of our shed for them). We also have the ducks but they are seperate for now. Will she be ok for now with her Sisters? I dont want to stress her more by seperating her from the others if its un needed....and is there anything I can do for her Limp at this point? I can bring her inside in a smaller dog crate in a room away from our other pets if need be but again...I dont want to stress her out if not needed.

Im beating myself up over it...as it was Completely My fault for being so stupid and forgetful. I know she was just a chicken and I eat chicken...but you get so attatched when you raise them from babies and I just completely failed them :(

Don't beat yourself up I know you feel bad but whats done is done. I would just watch her for a day or two then if she is still limping I would isolate her in a crate but leave the crate in the coop to limit her walking around. I would also put electrolytes in the water for a day or two for everyone to help with stress etc. It won't hurt anyone.

Accidents happen - I have lost quite a few of my chickens, including 2 I reared, to our younger spaniel. She is now pretty trustable around them but you can never know for sure. It sounds like a bit of bruising and you will probably find the limping chicken will recover well. Just keep an eye on her. I occasionally get a duck that limps and it seems to sort itself out
fl.gif

Just put in electrolyte solution. Shes keeping herself super quiet right now...Im sure shes sore. I picked her up and set her by the feeder and the solution and got her to eat and drink some...so I know she at least got a little bit in her.

Back
Top Bottom