Chicken Little

silverpeak

Chirping
Jan 11, 2019
I am an 81 year old widower who lost his "favorite chick-my blessed wife" recently. Since we both wanted to raise chickens for both eggs and showing and never got around to it because we were so busy with our critical care home, I want to now fulfill that dream by acting upon it. I chose "Chicken Little" as the title to my thread simply because as a newbie I am looking to the experts to help me select the right chickens, build the proper coop, expertly care for the ladies, and avoid all the pitfalls. At 81, I do not have a whole lot of time and therefore want to make the most of it. And this while still operating my home as a critical care facility. Whew!!!!!!!!

I am no expert, but I love to see that you are getting into chickens! It's never too late.
Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm certain she'll be helping you on this journey in spirit.
As for chicken breeds, check to see what you can source locally first. I am a fan of racing day old chicks and started to get into incubation, but pullets who are ready to go straight into a coop and begin laying soon are the easiest option, although a bit more money. My personal favorites are:
Speckled Sussex - ours follows us around like a dog
Light Brahmas - they are large birds and look incredible, but their feathered feet (amusing to see) have been said to attract mites not that I have had that issue as of yet. They are currently my best layers since I got my chickens in the Spring of last year.
Orpingtons - these are big chickens with fluffy butts and lay well.
Marans - if you want some interesting eggs, the Copper Marans lays extremely dark chocolate colored eggs. I have a Cuckoo Marans, and she still lays a rather dark egg. Not my best layer as far as frequency, but her eggs get the most attention when a guest opens my fridge.

There are plenty of other breeds out there. I'm not certain where you are located or what your climate is like. If you get cold winters like I do here in Illinois, try to get winter hardy birds. If you have blazing heat most of the year like Hawaii, TX, Arizona and Florida, be sure to get breeds that can bare the heat well. The good news is that chickens have been bred and have adapted all over the world to suit various climates and circumstances, so there's plenty of options for you to choose from that will suit your situation.

Best of luck!

To start::welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

Okay:
1. How many chickens do you want?
2. What physical qualities do you want?
3. Do you want to free range?
4. What tempermant?
5. What level of hardiness?
Great Questions. Thank you, As I said I am a newbie. The ladies in my home go thru a dozen or so weekly. Therefore, probably 4 to 6. I want a hardy hen that is almost pet like to a fault. Large lot (acre plus) but cats, hawks, and other wild animals stop by so limited free ranging but will need to be protected. Friendly and not bullying. I live near the Pacific Ocean on the central coast of a foreign state called California. Climate is mild. A few days of 100 degree heat and a few days a year of 25 to 35 degree weather.

Near the start of this article I have been working on there's pictures of some of my eggs and my 7 hens. Not sure if that's extremely helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-i-started-raising-birds-and-my-new-coop.74639/
Also, go to the "Reviews" section of and read reviews on different breeds. There's loads of information there.
Been cramming for weeks! Have looked at the writeups on most breeds and bought the Book "Chickens for Dummies". Like the Opingtons and Barnvelders for their hardiness and mild behavior. The ladies I care for will not be able to keep their hands off them so mild and friendly are the key behaviors.

Egg Basket.jpg

You will love the chickens!

I am sorry for your loss. It can be quite a shock to you when you lose a life partner.

Check out the articles in the learning center and ask questions on the forums

I am no expert, but I love to see that you are getting into chickens! It's never too late.
Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm certain she'll be helping you on this journey in spirit.
As for chicken breeds, check to see what you can source locally first. I am a fan of racing day old chicks and started to get into incubation, but pullets who are ready to go straight into a coop and begin laying soon are the easiest option, although a bit more money. My personal favorites are:
Speckled Sussex - ours follows us around like a dog
Light Brahmas - they are large birds and look incredible, but their feathered feet (amusing to see) have been said to attract mites not that I have had that issue as of yet. They are currently my best layers since I got my chickens in the Spring of last year.
Orpingtons - these are big chickens with fluffy butts and lay well.
Marans - if you want some interesting eggs, the Copper Marans lays extremely dark chocolate colored eggs. I have a Cuckoo Marans, and she still lays a rather dark egg. Not my best layer as far as frequency, but her eggs get the most attention when a guest opens my fridge.

There are plenty of other breeds out there. I'm not certain where you are located or what your climate is like. If you get cold winters like I do here in Illinois, try to get winter hardy birds. If you have blazing heat most of the year like Hawaii, TX, Arizona and Florida, be sure to get breeds that can bare the heat well. The good news is that chickens have been bred and have adapted all over the world to suit various climates and circumstances, so there's plenty of options for you to choose from that will suit your situation.

Best of luck!
I live near the Pacific Ocean on the central coast of a foreign state called California. Climate is mild. A few days of 100 degree heat and a few days a year of 25 to 35 degree weather. So far, the Opingtons are at the top of my list because of their hardiness and mild nature. As a child, the chickens on our farm were not the friends I had hoped for. One Leghorn in particular was the substance of my nightmares. After a few encounters, I refused to go near her or the other chickens. I doubt I would be intimidated now because I have come up against real enemies and am still alive. But, nevertheless, mildness is the number one quality.

Back
Top Bottom