Chicken losing belly feathers and has reddened irritated skin in bald spot.

urbanfarmerMN

Hatching
Aug 7, 2021
We just noticed Our previously very healthy 1+ year old chicken has lost a patch of feathers on her underside. Most of the exposed skin looks healthy except for one patch that is reddish, nothing oozing and skin is unbroken. We think she has lost some weight too. She seems normal otherwise, lays eggs, eats, drinks and moves around with rest of flock with no reduction in energy. Any ideas what might be happening and how to treat it? None of the other 4 chickens she lives with has this.

We just noticed Our previously very healthy 1+ year old chicken has lost a patch of feathers on her underside. Most of the exposed skin looks healthy except for one patch that is reddish, nothing oozing and skin is unbroken. We think she has lost some weight too. She seems normal otherwise, lays eggs, eats, drinks and moves around with rest of flock with no reduction in energy. Any ideas what might be happening and how to treat it? None of the other 4 chickens she lives with has this.
Has she been trying to sit the nest at all or gone broody at all in the past couple of months?

I just noticed the same thing on one of my four hens. Same situation - not broody, not molting, eating/drinking/pooping/acting normally. I used neem oil to bug proof one of their perches and permethrin powder on the other. Could this be an allergic reaction? The feather shafts around this area looked frayed and broken as well. I don't see any sign of mites or lice on her anywhere.

IMG-4504.jpg

Check if she's broody first. If she's not then maybe she's getting bullied and feathers being pulled out, which happened to mine.

Check if she's broody first. If she's not then maybe she's getting bullied and feathers being pulled out, which happened to mine.
That seems unlikely, but I'll monitor closely today. Could the irritation be a staff infection?

That seems unlikely, but I'll monitor closely today. Could the irritation be a staff infection?
Popping in on this old thread as I have a hen whose belly looks just like the pic of yours! What ended up being the resolution? Did you treat the issue in any way that was effective or did it go away on its own? Thanks in advance!

Popping in on this old thread as I have a hen whose belly looks just like the pic of yours! What ended up being the resolution? Did you treat the issue in any way that was effective or did it go away on its own? Thanks in advance!
I'm actually taking her to vet tomorrow because it hasn't gone away on it's own. I'll post what the vet has to say.

I'm actually taking her to vet tomorrow because it hasn't gone away on it's own. I'll post what the vet has to say.
Oh no, sorry to hear that you have the issue still ongoing. We did take our girl to the vet as well but they weren’t helpful in identifying a cause of the skin issue. They said it could be self-picking or the other two birds feather picking and…. No reason for the redness. Glad you are getting to the vet, and thanks for posting what they say. I’m very curious!

Oh no, sorry to hear that you have the issue still ongoing. We did take our girl to the vet as well but they weren’t helpful in identifying a cause of the skin issue. They said it could be self-picking or the other two birds feather picking and…. No reason for the redness. Glad you are getting to the vet, and thanks for posting what they say. I’m very curious!
I spend quite a bit of time with my girls and I just don't think this is feather picking, either to themselves or from others. I wondered if it was an allergic reaction to neem oil that I rubbed on their roosts to prevent mites, but it hasn't really improved in several months, so I don't think that is it either. Isn't it frustrating to have such a lack of knowledgable vet care for chickens?

I spend quite a bit of time with my girls and I just don't think this is feather picking, either to themselves or from others. I wondered if it was an allergic reaction to neem oil that I rubbed on their roosts to prevent mites, but it hasn't really improved in several months, so I don't think that is it either. Isn't it frustrating to have such a lack of knowledgable vet care for chickens?
It is very frustrating indeed. I’m thankful for this community! Looking forward to maybe learning something from your experience- I hope the vet is more helpful than mine!!

Back
Top Bottom