Chicken losing weight.

BettyandPearl

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 17, 2016
The past month, my Chicken Pearl has been losing weight, and at first it wasn't that much and now that I have came back from vacation, she has lost even more weight. She was at least 5-6 pounds about 3 month's ago and now she probably weighs barley 3 pounds. Another thing I have noticed is that for the past few month's her stool is sticking to back of her feathers. Do you think it could be worms or something and if it is, what should I buy or do for her?

The past month, my Chicken Pearl has been losing weight, and at first it wasn't that much and now that I have came back from vacation, she has lost even more weight. She was at least 5-6 pounds about 3 month's ago and now she probably weighs barley 3 pounds. Another thing I have noticed is that for the past few month's her stool is sticking to back of her feathers. Do you think it could be worms or something and if it is, what should I buy or do for her?

Welcome to BYC.

Worms can cause weight loss. So you may want to take a fecal sample to your vet for testing.

Try upping her protein either by commercial all flock feed or give her some egg, tuna or mackerel.

For the messy bum, you can wash her up with a little soapy water.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens.html

Thank you for the reply. I will certainly try it.
smile.png
God Bless you always and forever. Jesus loves you.
smile.png

I noticed my babies were a little underweight so I made them a warm wet mash with warm milk, oats, cormeal, warm water, raisins, cinnamon, oregano,thyme,and sunflower seeds. They absolutely loved it. I even had some tomato puree leftover from making pasta one night and added that the next day. But be careful that you don't over do it. It's only a "treat" and shouldn't replace her regular feed. It may help her.cucumber and pumpkin seeds are all natural worm preventative (although they are not replacement for treatment) so you could even add them to the mash. I fed my trio this for about a week in the evenings. About a 1/4 cup total after being mixed up is way more than enough if she's eating regular feed now.

I have an Easter Egger hen that from the look of her she looks ok but when I pick her up she is literally all feathers and bone. All I can feel is how pointy her sternum is. It worries me. She acts ok now but I took her out of the flock because I thought she was being bullied and now she has her own pen with lots of food and water. She has been there for 3 weeks and I still can't feel a difference. I have added apple cider vinegar to her water to help flush out intestinal parasites if there were any. We don't have a poultry doctor close to where I live. I was just wondering if this is common for a bird to be that skinny?

Back
Top Bottom